Bookshelf / bookcase layouts

Having trawled through some old topics on here, I don't seem to be the only one to think of doing this.

Has anyone built one?

(I'm thinking of micro layouts with a seperate fiddle yard / fiddle stick for operating use.)

Ingletyme is half on a bookcase, and the other half would be too if I didn't need to keep the corner of the room clear to avoid damp problems:

post-7091-0-39011500-1427050299.jpg

And Small, Broad and Totally Pointless lives next to it, completely on top of the bookcase (but not in this photo!):

post-7091-0-92067900-1367858503.jpg

I've scribbled out a few designs before, Ikea's Billy bookcase provides shelves are 30"x10", a nice micro size if you're cutting out a hole for a cantilevered fiddle stick to hang off one side when in use.

I've suggested before that you could dedicate one short bookcase (3/4 shelves tall) to a different layout on each shelf, it would be something a little different at exhibitions if you ever wanted to go down that route or otherwise be a neat solution to the space starved modeller looking for somewhere to store their layouts when not operating them.

Edit: looks like the OP has tracked down my last post on this subject, very diligent!

I've built a OO Gauge inglenook on a ikea billy bookcase.  I used a peco code 75 3 way point and all worked quite well, it was only a 2-2-3 inglenook rather than the 'full size' 3-3-5 but provided a nice distraction when I had needed a break from my studies.

Found the an old thread on a previous version of RMweb re said layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47396&p=727176#p727176

Did you ever finish it?

I think I designed this layout to fit in a bookcase.

post-8493-0-64775600-1427659514_thumb.gif

I still havn't finished it as I decided that it would be better in 0 gauge.  Obviously when I changed scale I built something completely different but still very small.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64880-leintwardine-teme-valley-light-railway/

Built to sit on an IKEA (Leksvig?) bookcase. Inglenook plus kickback to a little coal yard.The original plan was to do something with a couple of modules but it's stuck at one.

2'10" width but really it needs its little fiddleyard to work properly (built to 2'10" with a view to running it through a hole to the adjacent shelf - also not done). Even without the fiddleyard connected at least I can run something back and fore as a distraction from work conference calls.

photo 1 (1)

photo 2

Archived