Hornby class 56

Hi

I got a Hornby class 56 thursday an it's being a pain :s it run's really nice but.......it has a habbit of de railing for some reason usually on a curve . Nothing appear's to be catching on bogies or body an no other loco or coach does it except the 56. Track's all good too even my triang loco's an coaches don't do it iv'e run out of idea's an wondered if any one else has had anything like it. Iv'e aso spoke to the shop who can't see any thing odd.

Thank's for any help or idea's mark

Check buffer beam pipes catching on couplings. Even if they look OK the pesky little devils have a habit of just, just catching at certain places.

Oh, somebody will probably ask if you've checked the back to backs so I'll do it first!

Ahh i'll check sanding pipe's now can't say that's one iv'e checked ! One of the rather help full guy's in the shop checked the back to back's when i popped back to the shop yesterday :) first to ask though bill :)

Something catching - as already suggested - is always a likely cause. Can be something internal too, like a trapped wire preventing a bogie making its full movement. One of the characteristics of the heavy centre motor models is that they will keep going with a wheelset off the track, so whatever is happening may not be at or near the location when you first realise it is derailed.

Another potential completely different failure mode: is the bogie construction like that of the class 31 and 50, split axle wheelsets running in brass strips inset in the plastic bogie sides? (Never had a 56 to check over - if it is wiper pick up ignore this.) On the models mentioned the strip ends tend to splay a little, and can release an axle end - derailment follows - but the the end just pops back in very easily when re-railed so you may not suspect this.

• RMweb Gold

Mark's other topic on this suggests that the loco in question is the old mainline/Dapol based model not the new all singing all dancing Hornby 56.

As a result most of the suggestions here are not relevant.

Which bogie is it that derails Mark, power or pick-up?

Andi

If it's the Mainline, they are a devil if you've got Settrack - mine's OK now the track is all Streamline. The wheels seem to be 'finescale' (I know they are not). I even tried replacing the non powered wheels with Hornby ringfield ones and it stayed on a bit longer!!

It's the motor bogie that decide's to randomly derail . I thought be less likely too as it's the heavier bogie of the two . Iv'e got it running number 2 end first ......seem's to like going that way ! Hope to sort it as it run's really well when it doesn't make a run for it :s

• 3 weeks later...

The 56 strike's again > :/ two indentical class 56 Dapol an horby an the Hornby one still keep's derailing :/ all back to back been checked nothing appear's to be catching getting rather annoying now ! Other than strip it for part's for the Dapol 56 anymore idea's thank's mark :)

It is the old one an does have the motor above one bogie. wish i could afford the posh new one :s it's alway's the motor bogie that derail's oddly an just randomly does it .....a lot . It does have the wiper pick up's on the trailing bogie .

Thank's mark

Archived