Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Is model railwaying/railroading nerdy.

• RMweb Premium

Most of us would regard the term nerd as derogatory but is it?

Wikipedia describes nerds as being overly intellectual,and prone to spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities. Particularly sports.

Sports being mostly competitive set up peer pressure amongst groups, so to be into model railways might be considered nerdy by the soccer team for instance.

The nerd never is almost always last to get picked for the team and the football fans wouldn't be found dead in the library looking up the rules of the game in a text book. It wouldn't take for us all to be the same however!

So has anyone on here ever been called a nerd?

Would any of you admit to being one?

Should we be proud that we have a nerdy hobby and lastly would you get offended if someone referred to you as being a nerd?

I'm on the fence over it personally and it should be pointed out that there are those out there that would avoid any nerdy activities at all cost for fear of being branded. Sad.   

....you have the same right to an interest as the next person S....however, if you present yourself as needing to apologise, then you'll spend the rest of your time having to do just that. Respect others right to a choice but assert your own right too, in just the same way.

Dave

I always thought it was embarrassing to admit to being a railway modeller.  However, a few years ago I "came out" and the response has been nothing but positive.  People tend to be genuinely interested and I have got lots of "I would love to do that" comments.

May be I have just been lucky but I would recommend going public.

Kind regards

Paddy

I think it could be an age thing. When I was a young fella, chasing the ladies and all that, I would never have admitted to being onto railways - never mind model railways. It would be interesting to canvass some votes across the membership, to see if age does come into it.

Now I'm in my mid 40's, married, mortgaged, kids etc etc, I couldn't care less who knows that it is my hobby. I'm proud of what I do - it's creative. I've found that the vast majority of people who refer to modellers or enthusiasts as 'nerds', very often have little by way of skills or hobbies themselves - which is sadly quite a large proportion of them.

Could hitting a small spherical object with a load of clubs, around the countryside, be classed as 'nerdy'?

There seems to be a percentage of hobbies that people are prepared to dismiss as nerdy - stamp collecting, trainspotting etc etc - I am however, also quite an avid aviation enthusiast, but that doesn't seem to be classed as 'nerdy' by the same people who would ridicule an interest in railways. Maybe the media have something to do with that.

I have met some interesting and odd 'characters' whenever I've been to an aviation viewing park or to an aviation orientated exhibition, but on the whole, Railway enthusiasts seem to be historically and ritually slaughtered by any media involvement, always projecting an image of 'trainspotters' as being of low intellect and socially awkward!

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium

You've got a good point there Andy. Lots of the guys in my neck of the woods are into guns. They have collections of them , all the paraphernalia associated with it(cleaning stands, gun cabinets etc.) they go target shooting. Some are members of gun clubs and some hunt. But, and it's a big but. Try calling them gun nerds! ( not advisable to a red neck with a loaded 45 magnum however.) It's definitely a grown ups hobby were as playing trains as it would be seen by them is a nerdy boys play thing!!

It's certainly not cool, and wouldn't be an opening line whilst chatting up a woman. "hey baby, wanna see my tunnel motor?...". Obviously I'm referring to an SD40T-2. Otherwise it might actually work...

I still wouldn't shout about it from the rooftops, as it's not an interest I expect to share with many people, but when people do find out the most negative reaction I've had so far is not caring.

There is the popular caricature of the "trainspotter" to deal with, though anyone who plays that card generally doesn't have anything interesting in their lives, I find.

Ashtray

I'm rambling...

You've got a good point there Andy. Lots of the guys in my neck of the woods are into guns. They have collections of them , all the paraphernalia associated with it(cleaning stands, gun cabinets etc.) they go target shooting. Some are members of gun clubs and some hunt. But, and it's a big but. Try calling them gun nerds! ( not advisable to a red neck with a loaded 45 magnum however.) It's definitely a grown ups hobby were as playing trains as it would be seen by them is a nerdy boys play thing!!

Yes but how many really know how to use them?

Best, Pete.

I wouldn't trust the Wikepedia definition anyway. We had a bloke at work with Wikepdia as a nickname - he appeared to know everything, but most of it was made up.

I'm an ex-squaddie and don't care what people think of my hobby. When they find out I enjoy model railways we have a laugh about it, but do they realise I'm laughing at their stereotypes and preconceptions?

My wife has never called me nerdy .She makes do with "anorak ".She cant argue as I have made a half decent living from model trains in one form and another since 82  which enables us to go out on sunny days and work on wet ones. I also play rock  and blues guitar  and even sing .She just calls that  noisy .

Football fans, (soccer to transatlantic members) seem to me to be the biggest bunch of "nerds" on the planet. Not only can they quote statistics for their own teams from seasons long past, but for their rivals as well. In my local pub on match days they gather to watch the game, many dressed in replica shirts with beer guts big enough to rest their pint of "britfizz" lager, (tasteless, gassy and over-chilled) on. Before kickoff they discuss the prospects for the game, at half time there is analysis of first half performance and after the final whistle there is the ritual of the "post-mortem". For many of them it is their one and only subject of conversation throughout the week, (i know this because I have worked in pubs for nigh on 30 years). I must admit however that I am a football fan myself having supported Manchester City since 1966, but I can hold conversations on other subjects without spilling my beer.

If model railways are 'nerdy' - how would you describe...

(a) - 30 fully grown men running / rolling about in a muddy field groping each other in an effort to catch hold of a mishapen ball, or

(b) - sitting in the drizel. dangling a piece of string into a river.

I've been involved in all three, and whilst I would never consider myself to be a "nerd" - I have met others (involved in the three pastimes referred to) who definitely fit the bill.

Brian R

My simple answer to the OP's question would be "Yes". Rather more telling is "Do we care?" Hopefully, the right answer is "Not a lot". Enjoy what you do and opinion be damned.

Archived