Norfolk & Western mid 50's HO scale

Altas is changing the shape and configuration of the exhaust stack on the top of the long hood - has nothing to do with the air filter intakes on the side -

In the photo see the large openings covered with wire grates to the left of the "N" and above and below the "ERN" in the road name?

Those openings are the chief spotting feature of a late model RS-3, which railfans dubbed the "Phase III". Other than some brass imports and a Stewart shell no one has made a Phase III RS-3 in HO scale.

• Like 1

NMRA says 23' for the clearance. The number I have seen for the maximum height of a double stack car is 21' (possibly includes the dynamic envelope if the car is rocking). Bear in mind that a high-cube container is 9'6" high, so two stacked is 19'. 1'+ for the height from the rail to the bottom of the container sounds about right.

Take a look at some of the photos here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86481-southern-ontario-pictures/page-1

Of course, in the '50s there were no double stacks and some of the tunnels had less clearance than the one in the picture (which only needed a slight modification). A fair amount of the eastern infrastructure still won't support double stacks, although most of the major routes have now been modified for clearance.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Thanks Adrian the other tunnel mouth I'm going to have laser cut of this onepost-5983-0-60620400-1435324439.jpg

I have no plans to run any modern stuff but just in case that changes I would like to make sure the infrastructure can except them.

• Like 2

20'2" is exact scale from memory, allowing a chunk more like the NMRA says is very good practise though as I doubt most commercial models are exact and ride stability is less than the prototype!

I presume you are aware the notches in the first tunnel mouth are modern modifications, later than your 50s target era?

It might be better to model the tunnel without them but mount it very slightly higher to keep the period look but allow for occasional stack trains?

Yes that's what I intend to do. It's very much a mid 50's layout. But built to facilitate the running of modern stock in the slight chance that I do end up buying something in the future that I don't intend on running now!!

• Like 1

I just picked up a quite useful book. Freight Cars of the '40s and '50s, by Jeff Wilson, Kalmbach 2015 (yes, brand new). ISBN 978-1-62700-144-1. It is in the standard Kalmbach softback format (approx A4 size) with 96 pages. It goes through the various car types and describes the major variants, with lots of supporting photos.

Chapters:

1. Modelling a freight car fleet

2. Paint and lettering

3. Boxcars

4. Refrigerator cars

5. Hoppers and gondolas

6. Tank cars

7. Covered hoppers

8. Flatcars

9. Stock cars

10. Trucks and brake gear

I think it is well worth the price ($US 21.99)

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Just bought this Bowser Alco C-628. Long hood forward....The real thing must have been a beast to run...

More of a 1960's era locomotive, but it has that N&W feel to it....post-25523-0-30087100-1435793557.jpg

Edited by TomMarkert
  • Like 6

12 BLI coal hoppers are being dispatched Monday, I've just won another 6 on eBay and I've got 5 Bowser hoppers on order.

That should be a good train for now. Bachman have some Clinchfield hoppers coming out soon so I shall add a few of them on.

• Like 1

12 more hoppers from Broadway limited have arrived taking it up to 18 cars, I have 5 more bowser hoppers coming some time next week, I will add some Clinchfield and a few other N&W hoppers to make a good train for the Y6b. post-5983-0-58734800-1436440155.jpg

I just need to find some correct Cabooses at some point.

I've pre ordered 2 Walthers N&W streamlined coaches to make a start on the Cavalier or Pocohontas.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

post-5983-0-40500100-1438351791.jpgpost-5983-0-13485700-1438351803.jpgpost-5983-0-15609300-1438351815.jpgpost-5983-0-06270000-1438351826.jpg

3 x black hoppers, 1 Virginian & 1 N&W brown hopper, that should just about finish the coal train bar a few Clinchfield hoppers from Bachmann when they become available. Also a nice N&W covered hopper.

Two more box cars arrived from Maclaren models, I think that will do on wagons for a while besides the ones that's on pre order.

Time to get some timber I think. The layout will not be set on Coopers now as I'm starting a 4mm layout as well. I do have another location in mind and il pop some details up soon.

The Broadway Y6B is due in next month so I will finally have a locomotive for this project. post-5983-0-98179100-1438980595.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-5983-0-10701000-1445352401_thumb.jpeg

A pair of Broadway stock cars arrived today & hopefully the Broadway Y6b should arrive in the UK some time next week.

I'm going to change the location of the model as I don't really have the room for the large coopers bridge. I'm going to set it in the winter and have a good snow coverage.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm after a little information, Bachmann have this caboose coming out next year

post-5983-0-52145100-1446942084_thumb.png

And I'm wondering if by removing the burger emblem it's suitable for the 50's era?

I've been searching for Norfolk & Western cabooses and I've had no luck finding any

Thanks

I'm after a little information, Bachmann have this caboose coming out next year

attachicon.gifimage.png

And I'm wondering if by removing the burger emblem it's suitable for the 50's era?

I've been searching for Norfolk & Western cabooses and I've had no luck finding any

Thanks

Looks like a 'Northeastern' style at first glance. I think we've mentioned before that cabooses are a problem in all scales and all era's for the N&W, except for a few 'standard' types aquired over the years. The # given represents a 'Class - C-8  /  N&W - (ex-WLE-NKP) Road #s 557 700 - 557 760' according to the NWHS. It should look like this http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/selectdocs.php?index=rs&id=859

This link is useful, although they are only brass http://www.nwhs.org/modeling/NWBrassCabs.html

Good luck !

Mick.

Looks like a 'Northeastern' style at first glance. I think we've mentioned before that cabooses are a problem in all scales and all era's for the N&W, except for a few 'standard' types aquired over the years. The # given represents a 'Class - C-8  /  N&W - (ex-WLE-NKP) Road #s 557 700 - 557 760' according to the NWHS. It should look like this http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/selectdocs.php?index=rs&id=859

This link is useful, although they are only brass http://www.nwhs.org/modeling/NWBrassCabs.html

Good luck !

Mick.

I thought the N&W had a few 'NE' cabooses, and sure enough http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1591235

This is the NWHS entry 'Class - C-19  /  N&W-(exP&WV) Road #s 500 825 - 500 839' noting that 'P&WV cabs were standard Northeast Cabooses w/no end windows'. - The main issue is this was a 60's aquisition as far as I can remember.

Keep looking !

Mick.