Gaugemaster M1 transformer

I wonder if I could ask some advice.

A couple of days ago I bought an M1 transformer, together with a couple of Model W walkabout controllers. These came from Hattons and are brand new. I installed the equipment yesterday, replacing my H&M Duette that I bought as a student nearly forty years ago. The Duette remains for point motor power, with the Gaugemaster kit used to run trains. All work very well, and the slow running as might be expected is notably improved.

I do however find the transformer emits a humming noise - not deafening but certainly noticeable particularly in comparison to my almost silent Duette. Perhaps someone could advise if this is normal.

Many thanks,  John.

Hi

The hum is caused by the metal laminations of the transformer vibrating at mains frequency of 50 Hz (50 cycles per second). It's not at all harmful, just annoying. Hum is often due to low quality transformer manufacture.

If it's very loud you can return the cased unit to Gaugemaster who may chose to fit a replacement transformer.

Many thanks to you both for your replies.

It sounds as if I just have a normal transformer, and hopefully I'll get used to the noise - a bit like living next to a road. In compensation I'm quite taken with the improvement in slow running, and even my old Lima stuff goes down to a mere crawl - covering the transformer noise in the process!

John.

It's normal for a transformer to hum. How loud will depend on how it's mounted in the case and how the case is constructed. You could try placing it on a different surface or in a different orientation, but don't block any ventilation holes.

Andrew

It's normal for a transformer to hum. How loud will depend on how it's mounted in the case and how the case is constructed. You could try placing it on a different surface or in a different orientation, but don't block any ventilation holes.

Andrew

Thanks for this. It is on a plywood shelf that I built at the moment, and I'll put some cork or similar underneath to see if it lessens the noise.

John.

Archived