DIN Plug Connector Novice Query

Redford73

Sorry for another idiot question but I haven't used these before.

I have a removeable board on my new layout in progress (DC analogue) with three tracks crossing to the main boards either side.  I'll be using copper clad sleepers with rail end soldered and the copper sleeper cut in the centre.

I have bought 7 pin DIN plug connectors for electrical connections.

There will be 6 wire feeds from the main board to 6 wire feeds from the removeable (on each end).

Does it matter which terminals I attach the wires to on the DIN connector?  I assume not but am a complete novice on wiring so just want to check.

I used Din plugs and chassis sockets for my lift out section 20 odd years ago, I would just use the pins not the body, they can be sods to solder so make sure you get the wires right first time, but there is no special order in which to connect the terminals.  They work well with DC with around 1 amp, 2 max but I would not use them on DCC  as Din plugs simply wont handle the current.

DIN connectors have been used for a long time to do exactly what you are doing. Sometimes pin 2 (the middle one) has a different type of pin more suited to solder the screen of screened cable to so if you only need six of the seven probably best to avoid pin 2.

DIN connectors have become a lot more expensive and less readily available nowadays (probably because they are not so widely used any more for audio applications) while at the same time the much better 'D' connectors have become cheaper. It will be well worth considering 'D' connectors for this task in future.

I used Din plugs and chassis sockets for my lift out section 20 odd years ago, I would just use the pins not the body, they can be sods to solder so make sure you get the wires right first time, but there is no special order in which to connect the terminals.  They work well with DC with around 1 amp, 2 max but I would not use them on DCC  as Din plugs simply wont handle the current.

DIN plugs & sockets and also D connectors are usually rated at 5 amps carrying capacity per pin.

If you are concerned about the current capacity check the manufacturer's specifications.

Regards.

Does it matter which terminals I attach the wires to on the DIN connector?  I assume not but am a complete novice on wiring so just want to check.

Each specific wire DOES need to connect through to a specific wire the other side, if you connected (for example) the positive track feed from one track to pin one on the connector but to pin four of the socket then those wires won't connect and you'll get some very strange faults!

But what wire you decide pin 1, or 2, or 5 should be for is up to you if it's just to jumper between boards, with the caveat that the components need to be rated for the power that you're putting through them...

• RMweb Premium

Each specific wire DOES need to connect through to a specific wire the other side, if you connected (for example) the positive track feed from one track to pin one on the connector but to pin four of the socket then those wires won't connect and you'll get some very strange faults!

But what wire you decide pin 1, or 2, or 5 should be for is up to you if it's just to jumper between boards, with the caveat that the components need to be rated for the power that you're putting through them...

Agreed, primarily because in the case of the OP, its a system applicable to only his/her own layout. It is only when the owner wishes to connect to other layouts/modules, does the configuration become important.

For higher current capacity you can double up (or more) on the pins and/or connectors. That's one of the advantages of using, say, a 25-way D.

Plenty of DCC systems are well within the capability of even a single contact of a DIN or D-type, so ignore blanket statements about suitability for DCC. The Bachmann EZ Command even uses a 2.5mm stereo jack plug for the track power :)

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Heres some information from a supplier about the ratings of the din type plugs and sockets.

Just click the link.http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/20-0255.pdf These type sockets are rated at 2 amps.

And the often used D sub plugs and sockets http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/9-Way-Solder-Lug-D-Connector-Socket-15-0203 which are rated at 3 amps.

Just be safety aware of what connectors you are passing current through. Never exceed the maximum. Most suppliers should give you this information. If they dont, either ask or stay clear.

Heres some information from a supplier about the ratings of the din type plugs and sockets.

Just click the link.http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/20-0255.pdf These type sockets are rated at 2 amps.

And the often used D sub plugs and sockets http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/9-Way-Solder-Lug-D-Connector-Socket-15-0203 which are rated at 3 amps.

Just be safety aware of what connectors you are passing current through. Never exceed the maximum. Most suppliers should give you this information. If they dont, either ask or stay clear.

Hi Steve

The sockets you have quoted are rated for 2 amps at 100v AC.  This needs to be translated down to about 15v DC equivalent.  Derating for DC as opposed to AC is normally 50% so 1 amp at 100v and then multiply by 100/15 for the voltage conversion giving approximately 6.67 amps - so plenty of margin for a 5 amp system.

The D sub plugs and sockets are rated for 3 amps at 250v - again plenty of capacity at 15v.

It helps to look at the full specification.

In view of the concerns raised in subsequent posts I have decided to withdraw my suggestions above.

One aspect that has definitely emerged from this topic is the inadequate amount of information given by suppliers.

Regards.

Sorry for another idiot question but I haven't used these before.

I have a removeable board on my new layout in progress (DC analogue) with three tracks crossing to the main boards either side. I'll be using copper clad sleepers with rail end soldered and the copper sleeper cut in the centre.

I have bought 7 pin DIN plug connectors for electrical connections.

There will be 6 wire feeds from the main board to 6 wire feeds from the removeable (on each end).

Does it matter which terminals I attach the wires to on the DIN connector? I assume not but am a complete novice on wiring so just want to check.

If you're using a common return system of wiring you only need 4 wires through the plug (One feed per track + the common return)

I am getting concerned about some of the comments on here, the Din plugs are rated at 2 amps at 100 volts AC, that means 2 amps at 20 volts for DCC (and some systems have up to 4 amps) and using the 50% rule they are rated for 1 amp DC, irrespective of voltage, To over simplify, Amps cause heating, which is why fuses are rated in amps.   You don't have a 60 watt fuse for your car headlamps and a 1000 watt fuse for your hair drier, they are both 5 amp, The max voltage is determined by the insulation and the air gap between pins. 

I have seen wires glow red hot and smoke on 12 volt DC model railways with 1 amp cut outs, I have had wires actually catch fire on 3 volts from 2 X AA rechargeable batteries, so I am moderately paranoid about electrical fires.

The last Din Plugs I used which I think were 9 way have a hole on the back of the pin into which the wire is inserted and soldered not the twisted tags from the link but both require some considerable dexterity to solder into place.

If using common return you can use less pins but you really need one return pin per controller.  

The voltage rating is the breakdown voltage between pairs of conductors in the connector. The DC voltage rating will be higher since the AC rating is given as RMS.

The current rating applies to both AC and DC operation. AGain, the AC current is RMS. This is determined by the contact resistance.

There seems to be some confusion with switches, which are rated considerably lower for DC current. When switching AC the current naturally dies to zero twice every cycle and any arc formed between the contacts will extinguish. A lot more arcing will occur when switching the same current at DC.

A good connector data sheet, for a connector designed for power applications, which DIN and D are not, will give guidelines on the life of a connector used in "hot plug" applications where arcing will occur.

Andrew

Archived