The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Mystery viaduct between Etloe and Purton - not the Severn Bridge line.

Certainly not the Central Railway, that left the main line at Awre and curved westwards to cross the current A48 at Blakeney, all north of Purton and Etloe.

Edit; there's a good, clear, photo of it on Google Earth, crossing the lane running north from Purton.

If you are still searching for the remains of the Severn Railway Bridge they are off a gated farm road off the same lane on a 90 degree left hand bend going downhill on the same lane. There is just room for one car to park without blocking the driveway and the farmer is a friendly guy on a quad bike. It is easier to find strangely after overshooting from the Lydney end and going back again from Etloe because that way you can see the river and spot the bridge piers by the Sharpness canal on the other side. The lane is a scary drive if you are driving car you really like.

A pal of mine offers this explanation; 'a small viaduct is evidence that this location was to be the proposed end point for an abortive horse drawn tramway
project; one of many schemes set out to export Forest of Dean coal in the 1700s and early 1800s. The tramway was part built but never carried any traffic'

If you are still searching for the remains of the Severn Railway Bridge they are off a gated farm road off the same lane on a 90 degree left hand bend going downhill on the same lane. There is just room for one car to park without blocking the driveway and the farmer is a friendly guy on a quad bike. It is easier to find strangely after overshooting from the Lydney end and going back again from Etloe because that way you can see the river and spot the bridge piers by the Sharpness canal on the other side. The lane is a scary drive if you are driving car you really like.

I did manage to find it, though I wasn't sure about wandering about beyond the footpath owing to the stern looking gateway up the bank to the station site, and on the trackbed itself were what looked like untended gardens surrounded by electric fences.  I was going to try and find out the owner so that I could secure proper permission rather than upsetting anyone.

The farmer is a very nice guy but didn't know that Severn Bridge Station was originally in his field just 50 yards from him. He knew of the small bridge down at ground level and the portal of the short tunnel slightly further along the farm road. He advised me to duck under the electric fence wires, which I did, and then I found the little gate at the entrance to what would have been the original station approach road running diagonally up the embankment. Turn right at the top and then with 30 yards you find the platform edges.

_DSC0093_zpsdqae4kxz.jpg

_DSC0092_zpsxvkfiyz0.jpg

_DSC0097_zpsrez6cd0t.jpg

Archived