What could i find at these locations?

samkiller42

Hi All,

I'm back in France for a week in July/August, Flying into Limoge, I'll have about an hour while waiting for my train to Bellac.

I'm Also hoping to get at least 2 days where i can disappear to Bordeaux and another location, and i'm thinking Brive, I know Bordeaux has Corail, TGV and the new Regio2N's, Oh, And the Trams.

My main question is, What sort of stock movements, frequency could i expect?

My second question is where else i could go? I like the look of Brive-la-Gaillarde, Mainline between Toulouse and Paris, TER routes and i'm hoping for some freight too, But another good location would be good to know, One that's easy to get too/from Limoge.

Thanks for any advice.

Sam

Caling the line between Toulouse and Paris a mainline is technically correct, but in practice is very much of a backwater. Most Toulouse-Paris trains now pass through Bordeaux via the TGV line into Montparnasse. This route is a long way around but it takes about an hour less than the old route through Brive and Limoges. The current timetable has fewer than one train every four hours so you may need a good book if you want to go to Brive.

Bordeaux St Jean is still your best bet with a mixture of TGVs, Corails and TER.

If you want to see more movement go to Toulouse or Orleans, but these may be a little too far for you.

I spent a few hours at Limoges during my holidays to the region in the last couple of years. I always found it an interesting place to watch the trains go by with a mix of freight and Corail services and regular TER departures. It does depend on the time of day you go as to what you get. I remember seeing fruit trains heading north and intermodal services running South. In the sidings there was a good mix of locomotives, autorails and maintenance stock.

I'd suggest Bordeaux and Toulouse.

I've done both, the depot at Toulouse is tantalisingly close to the station, being served by a traverser you can see a lot of what's there, but beware of Railway Police........ask first at the Chef de Gare's office before commencing photography, (they will be OK), and stay at the ends of platforms.

Bordeaux is more photgenic and has marginally more trains. The shed is a 1/2 mile walk.

Following the terrorist attacks in Paris in January France is still in a maximum state of alert so taking photographs of railway infrastructure without asking permission beforehand may be deemed suspicious instead of just bizarre! Trainspotting is not a recognised hobby here (propbably as it doesn't involve food and drink). 

Philistine!

Set up a table and chairs at the end of the platform, eat very smelly cheese and drink a small glass of something red and no one will bat an eyelid. Take photographs of trains and the world will descend upon you.

P.S. only the glass is small, not the bottle from which you fill it!

LOL, I actually did that at Miramas....folding chair and table, picnic, camera, video, books, bottles of pop, (I was driving) etc.

The French workers passing from station to shed found it highly amusing. I had eight hours there.

Thank you all for the thoughts, I had forgotten France was on High Alert, and possibly more so after the attack's yesterday.

Sam

And if the SUGE (the security people SNCF employ) tell you to move- move. They've been know to arrest SNCF drivers and beat up SNCF staff! If you must try to reason with them, address you comments to the dog, as you'll have more success..

As I said, if you want to take photos, as the Chef de Gare. It's unlikely you will be refused, but do follow instructions about keeping to ends of platforms and not photographing people if you can help it.

Anybody that tells me the terrorists aren't wining will be laughed at, sadly. They are making us change the way WE live.

I have to admit I have toned down my rail side activity with camera these days.  The Gendarmerie regularly set up check points at the entry to the village - they were there this morning.  The last time I remember such regular checks was when the Toulousain shooter went on a rampage a few years ago.  Anyone looking vaguely North African seemed to be a target at the checkpoints (and there are lot of ex-Algerians in Languedoc Roussillon).

Archived