Foxfield Railway Summer Gala 18/19 July 2015

avonside1563

The Foxfield Summer Gala is fast approaching again and will once more provide the spectacle of industrial locomotives doing battle with a variety of coal wagons on the fearsome Foxfield Bank, 2/3 of a mile at an average gradient of 1 in 25 with the steepest section being 1 in 19.

This year's guest locomotive is Hudswell Clark 0-6-0ST 'Wissington' which will line up alongside the home fleet of 0-4-0ST Beyer Peacock 1827, 0-6-0WT Bellerophon, 0-4-0 Dubs Crane Tank, 0-4-0ST Kent Electric No.2 and 0-6-0ST Florence No.2.

There will be two passenger trains operating between Blythe Bridge, Caverswall Road and Dilhorne Park, a standard service rake of Mk1's and the Knotty Heritage Train. This will give the added interested of trains being shunted into the Bay platform at Caverswall Road Station, which will be acting as the departure platform, and trains will depart roughly every 45 minutes from 10am until 4pm.

A free bus service will be operating between Blythe Bridge station on the Stoke-Derby line, Caverswall Road station and Foxfield Colliery throughout both days.

Plenty of other attractions also during the weekend, including a beer festival in the 'One Legged Shunter' station bar at Caverswall Road.

I'm hoping to get there on the Sunday - mainly so I can get some detail shots of Florence for my build. There's one or two smaller elements of the construction that I don't want to start until I've seen her again.

It's always a worthwhile weekend - even if it's wet.  The steam and smoke effects (and slipping in the wet) on the bank are an experience!

Will you be driving again Avonside?

Peckett 1567/1920 'Ackton Hall No.3'arrived at Foxfield yesterday from the National Coal Mining Museum at Caphouse Colliery ,following negotiations that saw ownership passing to the Foxfield Light Railway Society. There are plans already in place for a full overhaul and return to steam for this sole surviving example of a Peckett inside cylinder 0-6-0ST.

Peckett 1567/1920 'Ackton Hall No.3'arrived at Foxfield yesterday from the National Coal Mining Museum at Caphouse Colliery ,following negotiations that saw ownership passing to the Foxfield Light Railway Society. There are plans already in place for a full overhaul and return to steam for this sole surviving example of a Peckett inside cylinder 0-6-0ST.

That's good, I've seen it slowly rotting away over the years while driving past.  I've always doubted their ability to restore it.  What sort of condition is it actually in?

There is an early morning charter on the Saturday of the gala featuring Wissington at Foxfield colliery. The charter runs from 7am to 9.30am (approx) and participants will receive a £5 discount on the ticket price on the day. If you are interested in participating please contact 

Bagnall 2842 'Kent electric No.2' returned from long term loan to the Chasewater Railway last week and was back in service for the first time in nearly two years at Foxfield this last weekend hauling the Knotty coaches.

post-8705-0-32819100-1436364540_thumb.jpg

(photo: Kieron Rigby)

Wissington arrived last week and was steamed and undertook a clearance run to Foxfield colliery over the weekend. Here she's seen on Foxfield Bank looking very much like she's back amongst the Fens fetching coal for the sugar works. (Photo: Dave Scragg)

post-8705-0-54486700-1436776470_thumb.jpg

Here is a pdf file of this coming weekend's timetable including lifting demonstrations by Dubs crane tank at Foxfield colliery.

Public Timetable FLR Summer Gala 2015.pdf

There are still places left on the Saturday early morning charter at Foxfield Colliery featuring Wissington. Contact mail.30742@btinternet.com for details and bookings.

Tomorrow is the day before the gala, lots going on at Foxfield to shunt the stock and prepare the locos. There will be plenty of activity and the 'One Legged Shunter' station bar will be open in the evening should anyone wish to come along for a preview, a pint and a natter.

For various reasons, mostly medically related, I won't be able to get down this year after all.  Mrs 5050 has 'advised' me not to go :no:

Actually I don't think my leg would stand up to the driving and the walking so it's for the best.

So, as I was going to try and get some detailed photos of 'Florence' (for my current build which, due to my problem, has taken a back seat currently), if anyone could find time to photograph for me the pipework etc. relating to the injectors/clack valves and also their relationship to the springs, boiler, footplate and cab front I would be extremely obliged.  Also, I would like a view of the cab interior, especially the inside of the cab back and the actual position of the reverser.

All I can offer is my thanks and a referral when I write the build up later!

Have a great weekend. :locomotive:

For various reasons, mostly medically related, I won't be able to get down this year after all.  Mrs 5050 has 'advised' me not to go :no:

Actually I don't think my leg would stand up to the driving and the walking so it's for the best.

So, as I was going to try and get some detailed photos of 'Florence' (for my current build which, due to my problem, has taken a back seat currently), if anyone could find time to photograph for me the pipework etc. relating to the injectors/clack valves and also their relationship to the springs, boiler, footplate and cab front I would be extremely obliged.  Also, I would like a view of the cab interior, especially the inside of the cab back and the actual position of the reverser.

All I can offer is my thanks and a referral when I write the build up later!

Have a great weekend. :locomotive:

Here's a shot of Florence's cab, will try and get some more next time I'm up at Foxfield.

post-8705-0-32576700-1437384150.jpg

• RMweb Premium

19623228020_156d66067d_z.jpgGetting Ready by Nigel Pitt, on Flickr

19785069746_759c6eee22_z.jpgPrep by Nigel Pitt, on Flickr

19623228478_2bc62075fd_z.jpgColliery by Nigel Pitt, on Flickr

19188621454_1231e2241a_z.jpgOn The Bank by Nigel Pitt, on Flickr

A few photos from early on Saturday morning. The rest of the collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/5944/sets/72157653810941403 

A most enjoyable way to spend the day, even if it did mean a 3.30am alarm call to get there for the charter!

Having been away on holiday this last week, have only now got round to posting some photos of the Gala to my Flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pandaonetwofive/sets/72157654095938074

As always, an excellent event. Could only stay until lunchtime on the Saturday but as always, was well worth the short drive down the A50. The sun shone and had my first ride in the Knotty Train, an excellent addition to Foxfield and all credit to those who have done the restoration work.

Cheers,

Andrew

Archived