Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Car Boot sales

Went to a Car Boot this week with SWMBO, and found a nice little item for only £10, a Babyliss spray tanning set, comes with two bottles and three nozzles, which I have found out are like coarse, medium and fine.

I didn't really know why I bought it, neither did SWMBO, but today I have used it for spray painting the backscene on my layout, works a charm.

I used ordinary acrylics from the Range, with some flow improver from the Range also.

Once I've finished a section, I'll post up a pic or two !

• RMweb Gold

You can get some good railway stuff from car boots if your lucky

My best bargain was a couple of months back, a Hornby TTS 37 for £40 and some FGW Neon lines mk3s for a tenner a pop, tha same guy had a railroad lord nelson for £30 too, the guy is a regular and has a lot of damaged box and unboxed new(ish) Hornby stuff, unfortunatly ive not had a job that finishes anyhere near that particular car boot on a saturday morning since!!

There is an old guy at the sunday car boot in silloth who has numerous oo gauge tram kits, both plastic and white metal as well as some very useful looking motorising kits etc, they are his own collection but his failing eyesight means hes had to abandon them some are are part built but others are untouched, he had a roco minimaus dcc system (handheld deely and base station) the other week for £15 too

Not railway related but picked up a nintendo 3DS XL from the same carboot for £30, worth £150+ in the shops, i didnt spot it but the eldest did straight away, we put it aside for his birthday last week and hes well made up with it, not even bothered its bright pink!!

Guest CLARENCE

A few years ago I bought two H&M Duette controllers at a local boot fair for £3 the pair - perfect condition and in regular use. That's what I call a bargain!

Cheers, David

Have picked up numerous bargains at car boots and in charity shops over the years, new generation Hornby Mk3s at a fiver each, a Heljan 47 278 for £20 and several Westward bus kits for £3 each amongst them but the pick was a year or so back, a kit built Judith Edge Hunslet 0-6-0 DE for the princely sum of £12.

It was explained to me by the shop assistant that it had been given to them with the belongings of a gent who'd sadly passed away and that although it had been tested by the husband of one of the staff, there was a problem with the wheels and he couldn't get it to run properly so they couldn't guarantee it would work. After failing to get it to sit on a test track, it dawned on me why, it was built to EM!

I often wonder if there was anything else of his collection among his belongings?

• 2 months later...

Had many bargains at car boots, especially from the under the table junk boxes. The best was 4 Farish steamers for £20 as part of a large box of Lone Star.

However my worst was when I was selling at one. It was scorching hot  and the mint boxed Lima train set I had picked up as part of a job lot took pride of place at the front of the stand, propped up for all to admire.  Just as the boot sale ended a guy came up and offered me a fiver for it. I laughed, especially when he said he might be able to salvage the motor. But it's brand new mint boxed I protested. It may have been when you got here he said, but the sun has melted it...and it had...a pile of molten plastic of no value at all.

Not railway related but picked up a nintendo 3DS XL from the same carboot for £30, worth £150+ in the shops, i didnt spot it but the eldest did straight away, we put it aside for his birthday last week and hes well made up with it, not even bothered its bright pink!!

Buy a spray tanner and it can be any colour you like...

Archived