10ft wheelbase 16ton minerals

cheesysmith

I have built some 10ft underframe 16 ton minerals, to represent the batch of 394 built at horwich between 1975 to 78' built on redundant palbrick underframes. On reading through the section in "an illustrated history of BR wagons, vol 1 (and only)" it says "a few were LMS clasp brake underframes". Has anybody seen any photos or evidence of this? If so, it would enable me to make another variation on the humble 16ton rot box for my collection.

Thanks for that. Another question. Did any keep their LMS J hanger suspension? Also, what are the visual differences in model form between RCH vac brakes and Morton?

I don't think they had the J-hanger suspension to start off with. Morton gear has a small cam/clutch on one side, though I'm not sure how visible it is in anything below 0-gauge.

• RMweb Premium

In an article in MRJ (issue 54, 1992) there is a bit about these Dia 194 wagons. Peter Totman says "with a motley selection of RCH, BR and LMS clasp vacuum brakes". His model has four shoe Morton brakes and roller bearing axle boxes  but does not have J hangers. He used a Parkside PA09 chassis. He ends the piece with "Many had clasp brakes." 

He gives the number series as B596000 to B596393.

Jonathan

PS: I am not really a mine of information on wagons but I happened to reread the article earlier this week whole browsing through my bound volume. It really was a good magazine in the 1990s.

In an article in MRJ (issue 54, 1992) there is a bit about these Dia 194 wagons. Peter Totman says "with a motley selection of RCH, BR and LMS clasp vacuum brakes". His model has four shoe Morton brakes and roller bearing axle boxes  but does not have J hangers. He used a Parkside PA09 chassis. He ends the piece with "Many had clasp brakes." 

He gives the number series as B596000 to B596393.

Jonathan

PS: I am not really a mine of information on wagons but I happened to reread the article earlier this week whole browsing through my bound volume. It really was a good magazine in the 1990s.

... and I doubt he did any original fieldwork, although he doesn't acknowledge sources. Doesn't Dave Larkin have the original numbers in one of his books? They cannot have too many brake rigging/suspension variety as all were on Palbrick frames and therefore restricted to what they had. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/palbrick As many of the last batch of Palbricks was retained as Freightliner Match wagons more came from the earlier batches. I have never checked but I believe what I wrote, that a few had the LMS clasp vacuum brake rigging (but no J hangers) was more accurate. This is another http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft/ee6443a6

Paul

Archived