Class 142 'Pacer' wheel size question.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody tell me the wheel size of these units please.

A P4 conversion is to be done but there seems to be some difference in the available modelling info. Ultrascale state 12mm wheels but High Level say 10.5mm.

Many thanks

John.

A similar question was posed on WT. The answer there - taken from the maintenance database - is that new diameter =840mm, last turn 747mm, scrap 734mm. So in 4mm you could have any size between 11mm and 9.6mm. 840mm is 2'9" in old money, so 2' 7 1/2" would be a good typical size.

Hi,

The wheel diameter is 2ft 7 1/2 inches. Which scales down to 10.5mm. For some strange reason Hornby used the 12mm versions, why?

Cost probably.

Regards

Vin

The Ultrascale replacements are also 12mm!

• RMweb Gold

To make it truly prototypical file a number of flats on each wheel :jester:

... and add a realistic squealing sound any time your models even look at any curve tighter than about "radius fifty" (which is likely to be most of the time on many layouts).

• RMweb Premium

I've always thought the 142 model looks a bit high, I never thought it could just be the wheels that were too big, just thought it was an older model and maybe a bit dimensionally 'out'.  Good to know, my first thought was that Ultrascale wheels might be a solution, but that question has already been answered - I wonder if it might be possible to fit smaller ones anyway though, onto the same axles?  Or would that not leave enough clearance?

Archived