Hornby Class 86 Running Issue

Redford73

Am I being a complete idiot or is there something wrong with the used Hornby Class 86 I just bought from a trader?

It looks like it's wired for pantograph/OHL wire power receiving.  There is a switch on the roof which I assumed turned this mode off reverting it to normal wheel pick up running but nothing happens when I activate this either way?

Do I need to re-position the wires inside the loco or is it actually non-working/broken?

Forgive my ignorance on this but I've never had one of these.  Was it factory fitted like this or has the original owner modified it?

It is an R2160A Anglian Livery 'The Round Tabler' model released I think 2004.  

• RMweb Premium

Am I being a complete idiot or is there something wrong with the used Hornby Class 86 I just bought from a trader?

It looks like it's wired for pantograph/OHL wire power receiving.  There is a switch on the roof which I assumed turned this mode off reverting it to normal wheel pick up running but nothing happens when I activate this either way?

Do I need to re-position the wires inside the loco or is it actually non-working/broken?

Forgive my ignorance on this but I've never had one of these.  Was it factory fitted like this or has the original owner modified it?

It is an R2160A Anglian Livery 'The Round Tabler' model released I think 2004.  

Well the link is here.

http://www.Hornby.com/servicesheets/index/download/id/45/

Looking at the diagram, perhaps its a broken wire, you'll need to get the body off to take a look.

A few fault finding steps...

Make sure the switch on the roof is set AWAY from the pantograph.  Has it clicked in place? - it should be secure and not move freely.

If you hear a click, test the loco.

If it still does not run

(Teaching to suck eggs moment - sorry...) Are the wheels clean?

if not, clean them up, then re test.

then, if still not working

Pop the power bogie out and apply power directly to the motor - is it running?  - if not, you have a more serious issue - suggest contacting your local model shop.

if the motor runs, check the spade connectors on the wires.  The left hand teminal on the motor bogie should have a short wire going down to the bogie frame, check it is secure.

The right hand terminal should have a wire going to the switch in the roof, again check they are attached and secure.

Finally, there should be a wire going from the switch to the trailing bogie, you can see the switch when you drop the motor out. check it is secure, then check the connection on the trailing bogie.

If all is secure, and it still does not work, then it could be a broken wire (inside the insulation) in which case replacements can be sourced, or you could just re-do it yourself if you are competent with a soldering iron, though you will need to retain the various spade connectors, particularly for the bogie connections.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys.  Got it running.  One of the wires was just slightly loose - if I'd had the wiring diagram before I'd have felt more confident in fiddling with them.  Hadn't had a model with the wires attached to the roof/panto before so wasn't sure if it had something to do with those.

Also though I'd already cleaned the wheels with IPA I used the Peco wheel cleaning brush and scraper over them and it's running fine. 

Archived