3D Printed Tree?

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Has anyone tried to print a tree. Now that Shapeways do full colour prints a tree would be a great item to print with all the leaves to scale etc. I tried searching on Shapeways but they came up with 948 items as they included tree rings, decorations etc.

Simon

Hi All,

Has anyone tried to print a tree. Now that Shapeways do full colour prints a tree would be a great item to print with all the leaves to scale etc. I tried searching on Shapeways but they came up with 948 items as they included tree rings, decorations etc.

Simon

While that idea sounds really nice, it's just too expensive and very tricky. Traditional methods are far less in terms of cost and much easier. It's even more realistic.

Try it and tell us how you get on.

Clue: real 1:1 leaves are thiner than most printers can deal with.

It would be an interesting challenge. Someone who already designs figures for 3D printing might be best. Printing in one colour would be good enough, especially as you would have to weather it anyway.

A better idea might be a modular system, taking the way Britains used to make their trees as a start. This way you could design branches and trunks separately and build any tree shape. Leaves, best not to bother initially.

Cost? Apart from the software which you might need to buy, you only pay for products printed.

It is not something I could design, as I am doing more regular items.

As a project, it might make a good idea, and if designed right could be a prototype for a tree building product.  :)

Archived