Minories 1983

Jesse

• RMweb Gold

Hi Joseph

A quick trip round London shows.

Cutting, Kings Cross, Moorgate, Liverpool Street, Victoria, Marlybone and Euston. 6

Viaduct, St. Pancras (as built), Board Street, Fenchurch St, London Bridge, Cannon St, Blackfriars, Holburn Viaduct, Hammersmith (Met and GW joint) and Waterloo. 9

Ground level, Paddington. 1

For non-London add in Viaduct - Leeds Central, Portsmouth Harbour

As today (not as pre-simplification) Flat. - Weymouth

Edited by john new

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm aware this topic has been awfully quiet the last year. A number of factors have led me to abandon this project, sell my N scale BR stock and start a new, smaller and simpler, project in H0 scale.

However, attempts to sell the halfway-completed layout have failed and it's still standing in the attic, not even gathering that much dust because of the way the parts fold together.
The imminent release of Dapols class 142 pacer has caused my interest in British N scale to start growing again... why not finish the layout in a less ambitious/slightly simplified manner, get rid of those unreliable Dapol signals and run a couple of Northern/Arriva 153/142/156 units back and forth? That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.
So this story might continue after all! :)

Edited by Jesse
  • Like 2

Hi all,

I'm aware this topic has been awfully quiet the last year. A number of factors have led me to abandon this project, sell my N scale BR stock and start a new, smaller and simpler, project in H0 scale.

However, attempts to sell the halfway-completed layout have failed and it's still standing in the attic, not even gathering that much dust because of the way the parts fold together.

The imminent release of Dapols class 142 pacer has caused my interest in British N scale to start growing again... why not finish the layout in a less ambitious/slightly simplified manner, get rid of those unreliable Dapol signals and run a couple of Northern/Arriva 153/142/156 units back and forth? That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

So this story might continue after all! :)

Hi Jesse

Minories is such a classic that it might well be worth simply storing it against a future renewal of interest and, being a folded layout,  I assume it's not taking up much space.

I too have had layouts I've simply lost interest in after a promising start.but think the trick is to decide that they are mothballed and half forget about them otherwise they tend to sit there making you feel guilty for not completing them. 

What are you starting in H0?

Edited by Pacific231G

Hi David, that's very true: the trick is to store them somewhere out of sight (and out of mind). Finding a new home for a layout also takes away the guilt, but that doesn't allow for any changes of mind...

My current project in H0 is a little shelf switcher based on a layout called Fairweather Branch I found on Carl Arendts site. It's inspired by a quiet post-war goods line somewhere in the Netherlands. You'll find some photos of the construction over here.

post-26557-0-87806100-1500484732_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For non-London add in Viaduct - Leeds Central, Portsmouth Harbour

As today (not as pre-simplification) Flat. - Weymouth

Portsmouth Harbour would make an interesting Minories-based layout as the Dockyard Railway at the northern side of the station allows for intensive freight workings into Portsmouth Dockyard. Extra freight movements created by the siding at the southern side of the station for tankers supplying fuel to the Isle of Wight ferries.

0-0-a-rail-gazette-Portsmouth-Hbr.jpg

Edited by andrewwaite1
  • Like 9

• 2 years later...