Cell phone photography

jpachl

Came across couple of images that show interesting comparisons between iPhone and DSLR.

First image taken with iphone shows very close low angle shot that the sheer bulk of the DSLR makes it all but impossible to replicate

Whereas second shot taken when we were putting a dvd together for a magazine article using a decent quality set up with DSLR on tripod etc.

The depth of field is way beyond the i phone capability with the painters in the foreground right below the lens and the bus on the bridge in the distance a full 24 feet away however the first shot taken with the phone I think captures as close to what a person viewing it and looking up at the train would see and for me it just has a certain 'feel' to it that I struggle to replicate with the big camera. 

For those technically minded the iPhone seems to set itself indoors at a constant f2.2 @1/33sec with iso320..all my phone shoots show this setting indoors under the artificial lighting.

The Dslr was a Nikon D700 with 45mm lens f29 @ 6 secs and iso100.

If anything I get more satisfaction with the phone because theres no setting up so spontaneous with any shot you 'see' immediately tried ..and often then deleted but every now and again theres a cracker in there..and it costs nothing.

Dave.

post-2371-0-82019500-1439729289_thumb.jpeg

post-2371-0-48448000-1439729313_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly it does have much better depth of field but we are talking almost pro outfit so should be better however... the phone camera can still find its way into corners that no dslr can..

Dave,

That's a very interesting aspect I had not noticed before. I just experienced that valuable feature. People who have seen photos of my exhibition diorama (see this thread or this Flickr album) sometimes ask what's inside the small yard behind the wooden fence next to the main building. Due to the brick wall, it's difficult to take a close-up with the big lens of a DLSR. A cell phone camery does the job, however.

Joern

20666914598_256bb87f5f_z.jpgPeeking into the yard by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

One of the problems I've had with a phone camera, is holding the thing steady with one hand, while hitting the 'button'. Now, of course, if an android/iphone  there are plenty of cheap blue-tooth, key-fob type triggers, but that is an extra gadget to carry around. Anyway, I found some software (app?) called 'oneshot' which is advertised as sort of photo editing software, but it also allows the camera to be triggered by voice activation - just say 'take photo' and it takes the photo. I've found that it even responds to quite a soft voice, you haven't got to shout. I've no connection with the software, other than being a satisfied user.

So, you can get your phone into really narrow spaces, and still be able to take the shot.

Not sure it's been mentioned here, but another phone advantage is the fact that the camera lens is generally towards the edge of the phone, so you can get the realistic low level shots, impossible in many locations with any other camera.

One of the problems I've had with a phone camera, is holding the thing steady with one hand, while hitting the 'button'. Now, of course, if an android/iphone  there are plenty of cheap blue-tooth, key-fob type triggers, but that is an extra gadget to carry around. Anyway, I found some software (app?) called 'oneshot' which is advertised as sort of photo editing software, but it also allows the camera to be triggered by voice activation - just say 'take photo' and it takes the photo. I've found that it even responds to quite a soft voice, you haven't got to shout. I've no connection with the software, other than being a satisfied user.

So, you can get your phone into really narrow spaces, and still be able to take the shot.

Not sure it's been mentioned here, but another phone advantage is the fact that the camera lens is generally towards the edge of the phone, so you can get the realistic low level shots, impossible in many locations with any other camera.

Thats an interesting app right enough because as you say having the phone steady and trying to touch the screen can be an issue.

The iPhone when on camera will take a shot if either of the volume up/down buttons are pressed so you do have options.

On the low angle capability of the edge mounted lens yes I agree and as mentioned in earlier post it can replicate what a persons eye is more likely to see from say 5 - 6 feet from the ground.. standing on the ballast looking 'up' at the subject makes all the difference.

It can of course expose some unintentional issues like the previously mentioned dreaded 'tension lock' coupling!..thought we had got away with that in the WD pic!

To be fair there are not too many left now on Alloa as we are moving to 3 link on the mineral trains and the smaller 3mm Spratt & Winkle on mixed stock for shunting. 

Dave.

Well, seeing as there is a school of thought in some of the magazines to photoshop in smoke, remove backgrounds etc, then you could be morally justified to photoshop in your couplings, or why not keep the coupling and photo shop in the loco?

Well, seeing as there is a school of thought in some of the magazines to photoshop in smoke, remove backgrounds etc, then you could be morally justified to photoshop in your couplings, or why not keep the coupling and photo shop in the loco?

Hopefully coupling issues will be resolved soon however smoke is a different matter..

post-2371-0-12951200-1440953224_thumb.jpg

Came across couple of images that show interesting comparisons between iPhone and DSLR.

First image taken with iphone shows very close low angle shot that the sheer bulk of the DSLR makes it all but impossible to replicate

Whereas second shot taken when we were putting a dvd together for a magazine article using a decent quality set up with DSLR on tripod etc.

The depth of field is way beyond the i phone capability with the painters in the foreground right below the lens and the bus on the bridge in the distance a full 24 feet away however the first shot taken with the phone I think captures as close to what a person viewing it and looking up at the train would see and for me it just has a certain 'feel' to it that I struggle to replicate with the big camera. 

For those technically minded the iPhone seems to set itself indoors at a constant f2.2 @1/33sec with iso320..all my phone shoots show this setting indoors under the artificial lighting.

The Dslr was a Nikon D700 with 45mm lens f29 @ 6 secs and iso100.

If anything I get more satisfaction with the phone because theres no setting up so spontaneous with any shot you 'see' immediately tried ..and often then deleted but every now and again theres a cracker in there..and it costs nothing.

Dave.

attachicon.gifIMG_4962.jpeg

attachicon.gifDSC_9285 - Version 7-5.jpeg

To my eyes, the first picture looks like a photo of the real thing. The second picture looks like a photo of a model.

For railway atmosphere, the first wins hands-down.

To my eyes, the first picture looks like a photo of the real thing. The second picture looks like a photo of a model.

For railway atmosphere, the first wins hands-down.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but the first photo (iPhone) is riddled with noise. The second is a better photo but the focus stacked detail gives the game away - apparent depth of field is just too much to imitate the real thing - too much of a good thing?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but the first photo (iPhone) is riddled with noise. The second is a better photo but the focus stacked detail gives the game away - apparent depth of field is just too much to imitate the real thing - too much of a good thing?

Thanks to all for the great comments and I agree the limitations of the phone  can result in noise plus of course if trying to be too smart with DOF it can look stacked as you say.

Somewhere in between is I suppose what we are aiming for but like everything in this hobby we are always looking to improve on the last attempts whether its kit building or photography.

A couple more below..first with iPhone showing local passing the shed on the main line..reasonable DOF and probably would benefit from some smoke drifting but image is as taken.

Doubtful if the full size camera would have physically been able to capture this shot due to restricted space so phone only option.

Second is with the D700 and shows considerably better DOF and quality as I suppose it should but space to set up tripod etc was not a limitation.

Happy snapping

Dave.

post-2371-0-09366500-1441023244_thumb.jpeg

post-2371-0-64306600-1441023323_thumb.jpg

Archived