Wiring up Accessories

michaelp

Not being electrically minded I'm struggling to understand how to wire up point motors (Peco PL10E) lighting for buildings (LEDs) and Dapol Semaphore Signals to the necessary power supplies.

Apart from the DCC bus wires I already have do I need additional bus wire to wire up the above accessories?

The points will be connected to a CDU and switched by centre sprung on/off/on toggle switches as will the signals, any building lights will be switched by on/off toggle switches. 

I have had a look on the excellent Brian Lambert's web site but as always I can't figure out wiring diagrams!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Michael

Simples :-)

Using 16/0.2mm equipment wire or similar flexible wire, run one wire from the Positive output terminal of the CDU to the first point operating switch middle tag.   Link from the first switch to next switches middle tag and so on until the last switch is reached where the wire stops.  

From each point motor run two 16/0.2mm wires from one side of the motors wiring tags. (There are two tags on each side and doesn't matter which side is used, so long as they are on the same side). These connect to the operating switches outer two tags.

On the other side of the PL10 motor link together the two tags and from either tag run one 16/0.2mm return wire to the CDUs negative output connection.

If you have several motors connect all their returns onto the same single wire on the layout.

The input to the CDU should ideally come from a power supply that provides 16 volts ac or around 19 to 22 volts dc.

As for lighting, I would recommend the use of a regulated 12 volt dc power supply.  Something that provides 2.0Amps would be ideal.... Then simply run a wire from the supplies positive feed to the first On/Off switch and again link all the same wiring tags together on all the lighting switches.  Then run single wires from each switch out to the layout to proved the switched feeds to the bank of lights to be controlled by that switch. Do the same for all the other lighting switches.  Make a common return wire of some 16/0.2mm wire and connect all the lighting returns onto this wire. Run the wire form the layout to the power supplies negative terminal.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your reply, that is a huge help. I looked at your web site and I also have your book but just wasn't quite able to understand your diagrams but with your explanation here and looking at the diagrams again it all falls into place.

Thanks again Brian

Michael

Archived