413 error using Firefox for Mac

• RMweb Gold

Cool, I was getting it as well. I'll see if I can isolate them.

Edited to add - wasn't platform specific, I had the same error in Windows 7. Removing the cookies definitely worked.

Hi, I'm getting the same message on my Chromebook, though it has run RMWEB happily for weeks.  All my other devices seem OK.

I'll try the same solution and see if it works.

I have the same problem there is something in the Cookie for RM Web that causes this problem, it cannot be anything else as if you specifically remove only the RMWeb Cookie the problem goes away for a few days.

I don't think it will ever be sorted out so we just have to put up with it.

I have the same problem there is something in the Cookie for RM Web that causes this problem, it cannot be anything else as if you specifically remove only the RMWeb Cookie the problem goes away for a few days.

I don't think it will ever be sorted out so we just have to put up with it.

I agree although it is infuriating. 

I've been having to 'clear cookies' (what an annoying term)  on a regular basis every couple of weeks for two or three months now. 

Hopefully a sufficient mass of RMWeb Members mention the matter  - and it becomes recognised as an issue worth addressing.

In anticipation I think the magnanimous  powers that be  :)

• 2 weeks later...

413's are quite complicated errors and can be difficult to fix.

General errors can only be fixed by isolating what the client system is trying to do when the error occurs.

The error could also be caused by a checkupdown error, this is a bit more complicated and fixing more difficult as it involves the software writers, the webserver and the ISP.

In the first case you should also tell the ISP you are getting 413 errors, they may already be aware of them and have a fix.

Already done Graham and Sky concur if it's only happening with one website and it goes when the Cookie is removed for that website then it's not there problem it's the website that has the problem and needs to be fixed.

As Warners are paying for the RMWeb website/server they can call on the technical support package that I'm sure (hope) they are paying for.

As I asked before can we have an update on the progress in sorting this problem?

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

It's a long-standing bug in the software used to deliver banner ads on RMweb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revive_Adserver

http://uk.openx.com/

http://www.revive-adserver.com/

The OpenAds cookie files increases in size or quantity until eventually they exceed the allowed size for a browser request. Deleting the cookies solves the problem until they reach the limit again.

Martin.

Thank you Martin for the info.

But that is not my or your problem to sort out it is up to Warners and the Technical Support team to do, not the users/members of the site.

I'm getting fed up of having do remove the cookies daily and I'm sure other users/members are getting fed up as well. 

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Martin for the info.

But that is not my or your problem to sort out it is up to Warners and the Technical Support team to do, not the users/members of the site.

I'm getting fed up of having do remove the cookies daily and I'm sure other users/members are getting fed up as well. 

Hi Pete,

Most likely they are waiting for a fix from the Ad script provider. It's unlikely they can easily fix it themselves. This is the problem with relying on 3rd party scripts instead of writing everything yourself. The same applies to the IP.Board software which runs RMweb -- there are several unfixed bugs, some have been there for years.

Bear in mind that RMweb is provided free of charge. Unless you pay for something, you can't really complain about it.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

All I have asked for is an update on the progress to sort the problem.

Some info on the progress would be nice.

Andy said only 2 weeks ago that he is aware of the problem, and waiting technical support, see:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101109-413-error-using-firefox-for-mac/&do=findComment&comment=1957352

Bearing in mind that this problem has existed for years and the subject of several previous topics, 2 weeks is a short time.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
I have had to remove the RMWeb Cookie 7 times this week once every day and twice on Wednesday.

It's getting worse.

p.s. Pete,

If you remove only one small cookie, the problem will very likely recur very quickly.

Be sure to remove all the OAVARS cookies. You probably have lots of them:

post-1103-0-79253700-1438434891.png

Martin.

Archived