HST Livery

alan24

I was interested to see this video on the BBC news today (old BR promo video) showing the buff band above the windows extending onto the roof - both loco and coach.

In the blue grey livery, the blue also extends onto the roof - again both loco and coach - if you look at early promo shots when they were still clean.

This feature was never picked up by Grafar or Dapol on their HSTs.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33533467

Alan.

post-23554-0-44242900-1436960830.jpg

I am pretty sure that the light grey band above the cant rail did not last long and was only used on a handful of early examples (which is why they feature in the promo shots). The majority of vehicles had the dark grey roof all the way down to the cant rail. Dapol and Farish are no wrong in their livery application, they have simply modeled the main version of this livery rather than the early draft.

inter-city-executive-hst-253038-blackwel

post-6409-0-29968800-1384516722.jpg

Intercity_125_2169045.jpg

Lima did portray this early version of the livery on their HST

4472_l.jpg

The initial Executive livery was applied to match the same height of the livery on the APT

From memory three sets and six power cars had this livery applied
It was then decided the upper band was not required

Around the same time the livery was trialled on a Mark 3A coach in an initial version of the ScotRail livery (BR Blue stripe), from what I can work out it was the only Mark 3A coach to have the upper light grey band

• RMweb Gold

Hi All part of the evolutionary process, The buff roof was discussed at Dapol and I suggested only a couple of sets had it and soon weathered out due to washer plant variations. The power cars by Farish had the over the rad grills Yellow this two only on a couple of power cars before common sense applied and yellow stopped short of a dirt rich area !  The IC125 was also the outline version as seen on blue grey livery but this quickly changed to the blocked in version .

The inlay farish MK3 HST trailer coaches has really off grey compared to the beige  of the real thing which always spoilt an attractive version, It would be good if Dapol were to add the choice od a power car set in the more yellow bodyside version!

Thanks Mike re noting 3 sets and how livery was an APT crossover every day a school day - do you have PC numbers by any chance?  

Robert

Archived