1/76th RM Bus from Atlas Editions

gwrman

My wife bought TV Choice magazine today and was looking though it when she said Isn't 1/76th your scale, I said yes, so she handed me this leaflet. When I rang the number they said they would send a green one as well for a special price.

Nigel.

post-7318-126694532392_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That's not an RM, that is an RTW. Wide (8 foot IIRC) body on a Leyland built Regent chassis. This ad is also in the new Radio Times (or as it is otherwise know, my 'Social Diary') and I must say I am intrigued. However I am surprised anyone is taking up a limited edition die cast bus as the basis for a new collectors series, the die cast bus market has all but completely collapsed.

Not sure about an RTW in green though? That looks as though it might be the Corgi/OOC model, does anyone know?

The flyer/ad from the Radio Times says:-

"A hand-painted scale die-cast metal model made from the original Corgi master moulds -available nowhere else"

RTWs were LT Central Area buses only, ie red! Of course, quite a few were sold on after LT service, so ended up in other operators' colour schemes (Stevensons of Uttoxeter yellow and black comes to mind).

The OOC model is not brilliant, with several inaccuracies around the back end in particular. That OOC radiator is not right at all but easily replaced with a white metal one. Having said that, one can't complain at the price - ideal for all sorts of hacks, repaints, corrective surgery, etc.    :D

I have the OOC one and a Little Bus Company (resin kit) one and prefer the LBC one, although I can't come anywhere near to the factory finish on the OOC one.

I have the OOC one and a Little Bus Company (resin kit) one and prefer the LBC one, although I can't come anywhere near to the factory finish on the OOC one.

Couldn't agree more on that. I have three LBC versions and they are very good. I have ordered a £1.99 version just because it's too good a bargain to miss, red of course!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone received their bus yet? I posted off the coupon best part of six weeks ago (and blimey has a lot happened in that time but I digress...) and so far nothing has arrived (Cue the 'then three arrive all at once' gag no doubt!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

To my surprise my postie delivered my RTW just this very morning:

post-6910-127331677979.jpg

post-6910-127331679284.jpg

Defintely a model made down to a budget with those classic 1980's style diecast cheapness features like the same advert on both sides and the lack of finer printing such as fleet numbers and legal owner details. Still for five pence short of two notes, can't complain!! Oh, no wing mirrors either I just noticed although the holes for them are still there!!!

Tempted by the second bus (Open top Southdown (NBC era) Bristol Lodekka but will pass on it for the moment as these will be turning up on Ebay en masse and cheap before too long. Could only really justify one anyway, now if it had been a plain NBC green Bristol VR, I would have had half a dozen of them!!

Archived