SNCF freight wagon livery

Il Grifone

A query for those, who know more about French railways than me.

I've just acquired a second Jouef/Playcraft SNCF type E open wagon with sliding roof. Both my examples are in grey with pre UIC lettering. Is this correct, as all the SNCF vehicles*, I have seen (mainly 1980s it's true) have been in the universal red/brown?  (with ideocentric French touches, like rectangular buffers and the underframe in body colour). I also have a Rivarossi FS type E in red (UIC lettering, but this is probably not the place to query it's authenticity - again red/brown is the norm.

* Ignoring special traffics like yellow livestock vehicles.

Many thanks in advance and regards to all.

David

I've been doing a bit of internet 'research' on this and it does look like a grey livery was used at one time. Here's a shop that sells French railway colours. Note that although these are 'browns & reds' P108 looks very like grey! As far as I've so far found out the original 1938 SNCF wagon livery was 'Rouille' which translates as 'rust' so presumably a red oxide kind of colour. Next is the oddly named 1950 'Brun Unifie Wagon'  (the not brown but grey, brown). From the early 1960s the Rouge wagon UIC colour came in, which is pretty much back to red oxide! It also seems that pre-war the Nord and Etat both used a dark grey or black colour too. I'm not 100% sure on the detail of this, so it would be nice to hear from anyone with deeper knowledge. It does appear though, that a dark grey was used at one time.

I've been doing a bit of internet 'research' on this and it does look like a grey livery was used at one time. Here's a shop that sells French railway colours. Note that although these are 'browns & reds' P108 looks very like grey! As far as I've so far found out the original 1938 SNCF wagon livery was 'Rouille' which translates as 'rust' so presumably a red oxide kind of colour. Next is the oddly named 1950 'Brun Unifie Wagon'  (the not brown but grey, brown). From the early 1960s the Rouge wagon UIC colour came in, which is pretty much back to red oxide! It also seems that pre-war the Nord and Etat both used a dark grey or black colour too. I'm not 100% sure on the detail of this, so it would be nice to hear from anyone with deeper knowledge. It does appear though, that a dark grey was used at one time.

The 1950 'Brun Unifié Wagon' looks to be much the same colour as the Jouef wagons, so I can leave well alone. They just need some decent buffers and some brakes and some weathering.

• RMweb Gold

There are two greys for SNCF wagons.

Early on there was a dark grey (roughly lead) colour for some vehicles.

Later, there was a lighter grey colour (not so different from BR minerals) which was applied to some bogie opens - I think those intended to carry stone. 231G will know.

There are two greys for SNCF wagons.

Early on there was a dark grey (roughly lead) colour for some vehicles.

Later, there was a lighter grey colour (not so different from BR minerals) which was applied to some bogie opens - I think those intended to carry stone. 231G will know.

There's also a light grey that used to be used for vans allocated to SERNAM sundries traffic, and which is currently to be found on the fleet of bogie vans rated at 160 kph or more, used on traffic between various places in the South, including Perpignan and Carpentras, and Rungis market and other locations in the Paris region. These carry newspapers south, and return with fruit and veg.

• RMweb Gold

There's also a light grey that used to be used for vans allocated to SERNAM sundries traffic, and which is currently to be found on the fleet of bogie vans rated at 160 kph or more, used on traffic between various places in the South, including Perpignan and Carpentras, and Rungis market and other locations in the Paris region. These carry newspapers south, and return with fruit and veg.

OP asked to exclude special traffic liveries.

But I rather liked this very pale grey as applied to Sernam vehicles. Was available in the Roco range.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived