Digitrax Decoder Oddities

njee20

• RMweb Premium

Having some problems with two brand new Digitrax DZ126in 6-pin decoders I put in a couple of n-gauge locos yesterday (a Dapol 86 and Farish 66).

Locos tend to be a bit hesitant to start off, will jerkily move off around 15% throttle, but then won't stop or respond to any further throttle input unless I use the "stop all" button (ZTC 511). Sometimes if I move the throttle to stop they'll stop after 30 seconds or so, sometimes they'll keep running indefinitely.

I've tried setting CV29 to "2" to disable DC operation, I've played with the back EMF functions CV55/6/7, which sometimes improves things marginally, but then I end up with the locos only operating in reverse, or 'surging' badly when travelling forward. I've tried resetting via CV8. Seems every account I've read online was remedied by one of those, but to no avail for me!

They could just be faulty, but a bit of a pain to have two brand new ones out of the box like that. I bought them at an exhibition a while ago, so no chance of returning at a guess.

Any other ideas? Give me a cheap Bachmann decoder anytime grumble grumble grumble.

• RMweb Premium

No connection between track and motor? You've lost me... There is electrical connectivity - as things move, and lights behave as expected and what not.

Entirely possible it is the ZTC, I couldn't find anyone else who specifically cited the ZTC whilst having issues. I'm fairly confident I've got some locos with Digitrax chips which are fine, but perhaps not.

Archived