Seeking very small stall motors

TEAMYAKIMA

My understanding of a stall motor is a coreless micro-motor which can be 'stalled' when used with a suitable resistor.

For example .... these are used as point motors , so that the motor turns a very small amount and when the tie bar reaches its end of travel the motor 'stalls'

I'm sure I haven't described it correctly, but eg a Tortoise point motor is basically a stall motor inside a box.

You can use any small motor to do this. You just have to ensure that the heat generated by the continuous current is properly dissipated, i.e. you will need to use a heatsink on the motor.

What you say is quite true but not the full story. If the current draw of the motor is very low (as in a Tortoise - about 30mA I believe) no heatsink is required. The heating effect is the square of the current times the resistance (I2R). R is quite small in most motors so providing I (the current) is also small the heating effect can be ignored. As Paul is after a very small motor I guess that he won't want to make it bigger with a heat sink (although if the model is metal it might well be its own heat sink).

Of course any motor that has a very low current need is going to lack power, a physical limitation that can't be evaded - a Tortoise gets round this by being geared very low. Whether this is a problem depends on what you want to drive with the motor.

I hope that's some help.

Chaz

PS Googling "very small motor" will find you a lot of tiny little motors some of which are very cheap and  could therefore be experimented with without putting the wallet at too great a risk. One snag to tiny motors is that they usually run at very high revs.

Archived