Rules for Ebay

MiDAS

I have been buying and selling on ebay for a number of years and have come up with a number of Buyer Beware Rules based on description. You may have more. Mine are

Awsome = nothing special, run of the mill, out of the box

Rare = Its the only one I have.

Spares or repair = knackered

Requires restoration = knackered

Not able to test = Does not work

Selling for friend can't check = does not work

Selling my late fathers collection = I expect an inflated price

Requires running in = Chassis duff

Requires servicing = poor runner

Just some thoughts born out by experience.

Terry

Conversely, I've bought a spares or repair non-runner loco that now runs perfectly after having it's wheels cleaned, and a "not able to test" that not only works perfectly, but also had the bonus of an aftermarket sound chip...

You win some, you lose some...

I'd add "Kit appears to be complete" to mean "Well, there's lots of bits of something in the box..." to your list! ;)

Conversely, I've bought a spares or repair non-runner loco that now runs perfectly after having it's wheels cleaned, and a "not able to test" that not only works perfectly, but also had the bonus of an aftermarket sound chip...

You win some, you lose some...

I'd add "Kit appears to be complete" to mean "Well, there's lots of bits of something in the box..." to your list! ;)

Yes definitely add that one. With spares or repairs I treat them as such and price bids accordingly. Sometimes a nice surprise appears including extras that are added FOC after the sale.. The Railway modelers tend to be a good bunch but there are some 'in it for profit' amateur traders out there who have little or no scruples..

Terry

You are quite correct if buying from a trader/knowledgeable seller

On the other hand as has been said it may be someone who knows very little and all that is needed is a quick clean and service, or someone who knows what they are doing and giving their own honest opinion.

If you know the models and the problems they might have helps sieve the rubbish out and uncover little gems

Archived