Track weathering

Hi,

I'm at a point where I need to weather my track and then do the ballasting.  I don't have an airbrush so the method I intend to use is one I have read of on a previous thread, which is to give the track and sleepers a coat of Railmatch sleeper grime using aerosols, then mask off the sleepers and give the track and chairs a coat of Railmatch dark rust by hand. I will then add the ballast and give everything a final light coat of sleeper grime to tone it all down.  I've seen a few pics using this method and for a relatively simple and quick method I think it looks really good.

My one question is from experience does anyone know how much track a 150ml aerosol can of sleeper grime is likely to cover as i'm having to order online and with high delivery charge on aerosols I don't want to under order and have to keep ordering more.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Off the top of my head I can't think how far each can has gone, but it must be somewhere between 10-15 metre lengths + some pointwork. It's a pretty generous spray nozzle so if you don't move the can smartish it will unload a lot in one place.

I haven't done the rail with a seperate colour but chosen to pick out lengths of rail in sidings (rust) and fishplates (near black to simulate grease)  with a small brush.

• RMweb Gold

There's a lot of paint in one of those cans so I find that I sweep along the side of the track pretty quickly and at least a foot away, as it sprays quite a large volume I find that I hold the can about a foot in the air at 45degrees to the track, I make one pass down one side then swap sides, I tend to look at the paper the track is on (Templot template) to gauge how much paint there is on the track. sometimes I give it another pass directly above the track.

The usual caveat applies of a little bit at a time and see how it goes. I can't remember if my topic (below) has the track being painted in it, I'll look later, if it hasn't I'll try and add a bit to it.

Archived