Hornby & Bachmann DCC Sound CV Values

daz9284

Dear all, sorry if this has been asked before. I had a quick look through the topics but couldn't find it.

I still learning a heck of a lot about DCC & sound, and I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there anywhere that I can get hold of / download a copy of all the CV values that Hornby and Bachmann use, and what they mean? (or do they differ per loco?)

2) I am using a Digitrax Zephyr controller but the CV values mentioned in their handbook don’t correspond to the values, for example, on my Hornby 60 (60048 ‘Eastern’ fitted with factory fitted sound). I think the person who had the model before me has changed the settings, and I would like to reset the item back to factory default. The digitrax book said to change CV08 value to 008 but when I did this, nothing happened.

I also have a Bachmann DRS 37 with sound that I would like to turn up.

All the best,

Darryl

There is a list of CVs on the NMRA site here http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/s-9.2.2_decoder_cvs_2012.07.pdf

Try writing 8 to CV8. Sometimes there can be a difference between the way 008, 08 and 8 are interpreted and sometimes you may need to try the reset more than once before it will work. Writing a value of 8 to CV8 is the correct reset code for Hornby decoders and many others but not all.

Some CVs are universal but others can have different uses allocated by the manufacturers. You really need to refer to the manuals/information sheets for each make/version of decoder to find out what CVs are relevant. Hornby's basic decoder (R8249) uses a very small number of CVs which limits what you can do with it.

...Is there anywhere that I can get hold of / download a copy of all the CV values that Hornby and Bachmann use, and what they mean? (or do they differ per loco?)...

Explore the manufacturer's websites for the items you own. You need to know exactly what decoders are fitted before attempting adjustments, because very few of the CV's are common to all decoders.

The set up of decoders may well vary by loco to match the motor characteristic. Bachmann publish CV settings for their decoders in their steam models for example: but in my opinion these are suggestions rather than binding, best thought of as a starting point rather than a guaranteed 'correct' setting.

I do my own decoder installation, to use the decoder range I have standardised on. Even on nominally identical mechanisms - multiple examples of one common loco type in the area I model -  with the same type of decoder installed; significantly different CV settings are sometimes required to match running performance in respect of identical starting, maximum speed, and progression through the speed curve.

I also have a Bachmann DRS 37 with sound that I would like to turn up.

All the best,

Darryl

To adjust the volume on the Bach DRS 37 and the Hornby 60  - CV 63 is the one to use - the volume range will depend on if a Loksound V3.5 or V4 is fitted.  For a V3.5 the range = 0 - 64max  for the Lok V4 the range = 0 - 192max . Checking the rear of the speaker is one way to confirm which decoder is fitted - a V3.5 uses a 100 ohm speaker, the V4 a 4 ohm version.

Archived