OOC Western Greyhound Mercedes Beaver

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

With the soon to be released Kernow/Dapol 'Silver Bullets' I feel we are going to see an influx of modern Cornish based layouts.

First Western National have withdrawn from a number of services in recent years and Western Greyhound have thrown down the gauntlet to meet the needs of the community. I for one was keen to find a means of getting a WG bus for my Cornish based layout and was thinking of getting some decals made up and repainting a suitable vehicle.

However, on the WG website I found this little limited edition OOCMercedes Beaver midibus for sale for £24 with two destinations available and free postage.

Links below and pictures if anyone is intersted:

http://www.westerngreyhound.com/index.php

http://western7642.fotopic.net/p49142935.html

http://www.westerngreyhound.com/files/corgi_order.pdf

I would also like to add that I have no links to this company.

The website is brilliant and I'll be ordering a Route 556 to Newquay soon.

Thanks.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

aaaagh! ohmy.gif Thats exactly what I need for my layout - except its the wrong scale - sad.gif

Nevermind - Ive got a bus-sized space in the display cabinet - that'll look nice in there.

More buses for N gauge please!

tfn

JOn

Sorry-perhaps should have mentioned it was 4mm scale! wink.gif

Be interesting to get come decals made up but not sure of a suitable 2mm scale donor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

The WG Beaver finally arrived this morning.

Well the first thing I can say is the wrapping paper is amazing-WG Optare Solo wrapping paper!cool.gif

Also well packaged and excellent service.

Here's some fots with wrapping paper as the background:

post-7584-126899974117_thumb.jpg

post-7584-126899972461_thumb.jpg

post-7584-126899971249_thumb.jpg

Needs a bit of toning down and light weathering but will look excellent on my layout.

Just need an Optare Solo with BZ destination screens now!

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Interesting.

That was announced as a general OOC release at one stage and I had one ordered through Hattons. After many months of waiting they announced that the release had been cancelled and they were unable to fulfil the order. Not being based in the UK nor taking time to visit WG's website other than perhaps once a year out of academic interest, I was not aware that the model had actually been produced.

I suspect others who had been waiting for it from the normal retail outlets might be in the same position.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.

That was announced as a general OOC release at one stage and I had one ordered through Hattons. After many months of waiting they announced that the release had been cancelled and they were unable to fulfil the order. Not being based in the UK nor taking time to visit WG's website other than perhaps once a year out of academic interest, I was not aware that the model had actually been produced.

I suspect others who had been waiting for it from the normal retail outlets might be in the same position.

Hi Gwiwer,

I never realised it was due for general release but all I'll say is the service was excellent and the packaging some of the best I've seen.

The're are links at the top of this posting including order forms and other fots.

Thanks.

Mark

The WG Beaver was initially proposed by Corgi in 2006 for gen release in 2007, at the same time Plaxton had it pencilled in for the Beaver slot in their commemorative Centenary set. On learning this, Plaxton changed it and the Centenary set was subsequently filled by one in Pulhams, Bourton on the Water livery. WG then expressed an interest to take all of the production run and the general release was cancelled. I didn't think it had got as far as being announced for general release

• RMweb Premium

The WG Beaver was announced and listed available for pre-order by several of the larger retailers (and perhaps the smaller ones also whose sites I don't visit regularly) including Hattons and Kernow. In that respect it would be no different to any other manufacturer's announcement of an intended release.

I heard an unsubstantiated story that it had been cancelled due to the expectations of low sales on a size-for-price basis. That was clearly not the case as it has been issued in other liveries and similar minibus models have also done as well as their big bus counterparts in the open market.

As WG only seem interested in taking cheques, a method of payment not available to most Australians (we almost universally use EFTPOS) I have emailed them for advice.

Archived