How much OO gauge can I fit into 12x8?

EddScott

Thanks,  I'm undecided on the branch, at the moment I'll just terminate it in a tunnel.  I do have the option of helixing up and making an upper fiddle yard, but that is way off.  I needed fiddle yard room and I wasn't skilled enough to built a cassette system so I had to compromise by using a removable back scene.

I'll do some more pix, in the meantime see these:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45716-starting-again/&do=findComment&comment=1869877

B McG - thats another fine use of the space available. Where will the branch line go? over the fiddle? How will you access the fiddle in emergencies? Only asking as I'm considering either a same layout fiddle or if I can work out how, a lower fiddle.

If you're not into stations, don't waste space on having one. The vast majority of railway doesn't have adjacent platforms after all. You can still use passenger stock, it just doesn't need to stop anywhere. And then you can use the space for the things you find more interesting.

I’ve been droning on, on this subject for years, seemingly. Stations are very limiting - you can have a TMD with a mainline just passing by (ala “Cramdin”)  but bigger and more spacious. Or an interesting Goods Yard paralleling a mainline - anything.  You have stations then you have limited length passenger  trains (unless you have a really big room).

Best, Pete..

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working a lot on my plans for a 12ft x 8ft layout and have based it mainly around the layout currently on free track plans website on the branch line border one. Where I have changed a few corners having a tdm, coach holding, a port and a castle with 3 stations. I am able to get a high speed line with 3rd radius curve and a branch line 2nd radius curve in this set up.

Hope it helps

In 12'x8' in 00, you could get in a lot of operational interest, running a service from A to B via C, if you kept the trains fairly short, say three or four coach length.

I'm thinking Scottish routes, or Cambrian, for instance, either "early modern", using loco hauled stock, or "modern modern", using DMMUs. My favoured option would be "early modern" SR using EMUs, DEMUs and/or loco hauled stock, maybe themed on the Reading-Redhill route in the early 1970s, but these things are a matter of taste.

This might involve having two or three modest stations, rather than none, and CJF's "60 Plans" has several suitable suggestions worthy of consideration, but the "PSL Book of Track Plans" has even more and better.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

B McG - thats another fine use of the space available. Where will the branch line go? over the fiddle? How will you access the fiddle in emergencies? Only asking as I'm considering either a same layout fiddle or if I can work out how, a lower fiddle.

Hi All,

Using a gradient of 1 in 40 I've run the branch line to an upper level fiddle yard that sits 5" above the existing fiddle yard. I took out the shortest line (near most to the running lines) of the fiddle yard below to allow more scenic space.  However I do have a quandary as to whether I terminate the fiddle yard or continue it on to a small upper level industrial area where the branch line starts in the upper left. I know sometimes less is more and I could be packing too much track in too small a space..  With that in mind I'll put this to the forum. 

This is where I am am on the ground level:-

post-7902-0-73011000-1446808924_thumb.jpg

This is option 1 to terminate the fiddle yard allowing a run around loop.

post-7902-0-20211800-1446808535_thumb.jpg

The other option is to extend out into a small industrial area as below.  This will be 5" above the running lines...

post-7902-0-76216900-1446809034_thumb.jpg

Any opinions, advice and constructive criticism gratefully received :-)

• 1 year later...

I'd agree with the not having a station idea. I'm not planning one for my lay-out, although I will probably have a token passenger train at some point.

Me too on this point. Not really into stations at all but I was planning to have a "token" one because you have to don't you? I was going to put in a "bitsa station" to save modelling full length platforms but I've really woken up to the idea of omitting a station altogether now for my loft layout "Ceilingscombe Down"

• RMweb Gold

A common dodge on roundy roundy layouts is to model the ends of the platforms and the station throat; after all, that's the most interesting bit and it saves room on the scenic section for engine sheds, yards, sidings, factories, oil terminals, cheese factories, and anything else you can think of to shunt wagons in to and out of to add interest.  

Mmm, cheese.  There is no aspect of human endeavour that cannot be improved with cheese...

A motorcycle enthusiast I know had exactly that happen, too many parts in the loft and down came the bedroom ceiling.

I too am interested in what happened to the layout, was it ever built?

I have a Model Railroader mag from 2006 with a small by US standards railway on 3 levels approx 18" apart connected by a Spiral under 2ft Radius  which had the lower level around 43" middle level at 61" and the top level around 79" with lights under each baseboard and the hidden loops or staging on the Top level.   This won't be an option for everyone but would make a lot of sense if anyone had 7'6" ceilings.

Archived