Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Guess what - yet another Win 10 update today along with various other updates, takes it to 10586.63

Can't have been very big.

It was all installed and re-booted in a couple of minutes.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

A W10 update today, which took no less than 1 hour 45 minutes to install on my desktop PC, preventing me from working.

I've been a regular Windows user since v3.1 and IMHO W10 is the worst iteration yet. It's making the CPU on my PC work harder than ever with no tangible benefits that I'm interested in. I have even been effectively locked out on several occasions while it is using system resources.

My PC is not yet five years old and was a good spec when I got it in mid-2011. This whole W10 business is making me re-think my PC replacement plans for the summer and a Windows machine is no longer an automatic front runner.

I may be an old curmudgeon, but I still think that 98SE was the best iteration of Windows I ever used.

• RMweb Gold

When did it last update as I'm not being offered any updates. Could it have missed a number hence the time taken.

No, my PC is on daily, so there can't be a backlog.

Even as I type this the CPU is running at 40-50% because W10 is fannying around with various processes. I have Task Manager permanently in the background these days in an attempt to monitor what W10 is doing.

• RMweb Premium

A W10 update today, which took no less than 1 hour 45 minutes to install on my desktop PC, preventing me from working.

I've been a regular Windows user since v3.1 and IMHO W10 is the worst iteration yet. It's making the CPU on my PC work harder than ever with no tangible benefits that I'm interested in. I have even been effectively locked out on several occasions while it is using system resources.

My PC is not yet five years old and was a good spec when I got it in mid-2011. This whole W10 business is making me re-think my PC replacement plans for the summer and a Windows machine is no longer an automatic front runner.

I may be an old curmudgeon, but I still think that 98SE was the best iteration of Windows I ever used.

No updates today or in the last week so you must have built up a backlog.

My last one to 10586.63 didn't take long at all - one of the quickest so far.

Best check your settings, Win10 is definitely one of the speedier Windows releases and my CPUs (actually on 3 different PCs) all have lower workrates than with Win 7.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Even as I type this the CPU is running at 40-50% because W10 is fannying around with various processes. I have Task Manager permanently in the background these days in an attempt to monitor what W10 is doing.

As I type this my CPU is running at 2% and at half speed, also I am using 13% (2Gb of 16Gb) of memory.

C: drive is betwen 0% and 1%

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

No updates today or in the last week so you must have built up a backlog.

My last one to 10586.63 didn't take long at all - one of the quickest so far.

Best check your settings, Win10 is definitely one of the speedier Windows releases and my CPUs (actually on 3 different PCs) all have lower workrates than with Win 7.

Keith

As mentioned above, my PC is on most days for work purposes, so a backlog is highly unlikely. Monitoring of Task Manager shows regular culprits causing high CPU and HDD usage,incuding:

Windows Host Process (rundll32)

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host

Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host

plus others such as Runtime Broker.

You may be fortunate with your experience of W10. Googling the various processes mentioned above shows that many people are experiencing similar problems, some of which clearly date back to W7 and possibly earlier.

As mentioned above, my PC is on most days for work purposes, so a backlog is highly unlikely. Monitoring of Task Manager shows regular culprits causing high CPU and HDD usage,incuding:

Windows Host Process (rundll32)

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host

Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host

plus others such as Runtime Broker.

You may be fortunate with your experience of W10. Googling the various processes mentioned above shows that many people are experiencing similar problems, some of which clearly date back to W7 and possibly earlier.

What CPU and memory do you have because putting your comments together so far indicates that your pc is somewhat elderly and as its working flat out due to a lack of adequate processor power and/or memory that would explain the delayed installation of the W10 update(s) as they are downloaded as when the computer has background time.

• RMweb Gold

What CPU and memory do you have because putting your comments together so far indicates that your pc is somewhat elderly and as its working flat out due to a lack of adequate processor power and/or memory that would explain the delayed installation of the W10 update(s) as they are downloaded as when the computer has background time.

CPU is an AMD Athlon 2.80GHz with 4Gb of RAM. The performance has been much better today because I have shut down the Compatibility Telemetry feature.

Part of the problem is that my current PC is an all-in-one type, which cannot be easily upgraded. It also tends to run hotter because of the slim design and the fan noise is intrusive, especially when trying to work on creative writing. Next time I'll go for one with a system box capable of various upgrades.

• RMweb Premium

CPU is an AMD Athlon 2.80GHz with 4Gb of RAM.

Is that a 64 bit one?

This computer I am replying on has an AMD Athlon 64 2.6Ghz with 4Gb which originally ran Win XP (with 2GB!) and is plenty fast enough with Win 10.

Again the CPU typically runs at 3-6% and memory at 40% disk usage is minimal unless something is accessing it.

N.B. I have disabled everything that Win 10 lets me disable apart from those things which I need!

All apps are off the start screen.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm building myself a new PC and intend to install W10 on it. I notice a plethora of very cheap offers on Ebay and elsewhere for W10 licenses, has anyone used one of them? I presume they work but are they legit?

Can't see how they can be legit.

Best proper W10 I've seen is about £80!

Keith

• Like 1

Not sure if it would be cheaper, but it would be more fuss, but I guess you could install a licensed w7 or w8 and upgrade. You would need to get the correct version, home/pro/32bit/64bit/whatever (or pay the difference).

• RMweb Gold

Is that a 64 bit one?

This computer I am replying on has an AMD Athlon 64 2.6Ghz with 4Gb which originally ran Win XP (with 2GB!) and is plenty fast enough with Win 10.

Again the CPU typically runs at 3-6% and memory at 40% disk usage is minimal unless something is accessing it.

N.B. I have disabled everything that Win 10 lets me disable apart from those things which I need!

All apps are off the start screen.

Keith

Yes, 64 bit. As you say, it is worthwhile disabling all of the non-essential features to improve performance.

I'm building myself a new PC and intend to install W10 on it. I notice a plethora of very cheap offers on Ebay and elsewhere for W10 licenses, has anyone used one of them? I presume they work but are they legit?

I bought a 'legit' Windows 7 disc for 27 quid and upgraded to 10 from that. The company I purchased from sells sealed system discs from various sources, no doubt Schools, Colleges, disposed of pc's. Just make sure you get a single licence one if it's Windows 7 and you want to upgrade....the multiple licence ones are not upgradable.

My latest PC was bought with Windows 7 (or 8?) and the installer put 10 on it prior to installation here. I'm not impressed with it after loosing so much that was on XP. The email part is a real box of tricks and I can only open one Google window at a time (I used to be able to open two RMweb windows and transfer tings over when rebuilding a thread).  Another irritation is Video editing programs are still stuck in Windows 7 and are not available for 10, even the Windows Editing Version. I am thinking of going back to an earlier Windows just for the editting suite, which is important to me.

Every now and again I have to switch the PC off at the plug so that it will re-set itself. This is because it occasionally boots up with no symbols in the bottom toolbar.  Sometimes the LH Windows symbol is not live thus preventing me from accessing emails and quick-search. In addition, clicking on thumbnails simply leads to a notice saying 'Timed out'.   And sometimes the tower is still active after shutting down. If this happens it will not re-boot and so it has to be switched off at the plug.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

My latest PC was bought with Windows 7 (or 8?) and the installer put 10 on it prior to installation here. I'm not impressed with it after loosing so much that was on XP. The email part is a real box of tricks and I can only open one Google window at a time (I used to be able to open two RMweb windows and transfer tings over when rebuilding a thread).  Another irritation is Video editing programs are still stuck in Windows 7 and are not available for 10, even the Windows Editing Version. I am thinking of going back to an earlier Windows just for the editting suite, which is important to me.

Every now and again I have to switch the PC off at the plug so that it will re-set itself. This is because it occasionally boots up with no symbols in the bottom toolbar.  Sometimes the LH Windows symbol is not live thus preventing me from accessing emails and quick-search. In addition, clicking on thumbnails simply leads to a notice saying 'Timed out'.   And sometimes the tower is still active after shutting down. If this happens it will not re-boot and so it has to be switched off at the plug.

Hi Coach

I'm puzzled by some of your findings.

What e-mail are you using?

What video editor?

One of my PCs occasionally has a "dead" LH Window symbol when you left mouse click. I Just right click it and a more extensive menu appears.

As regards opening multiple Googles - I don't understand that at all. I can open as many as I like.

Cheers

keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

One thing i would recommend is a SSD C: drive for Windows.

If you can't afford a big one use a smaller one and have a larger HDD for storage.

It really speeds things up.

This PC has a 240Gb Mushkin drive (which I added before I installed an OS) and Windows boot ups are virtually as fast as the BIOS (UEFI) can make it.

It also means updates install much, much quicker.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Coach

I'm puzzled by some of your findings.

What e-mail are you using?

What video editor?

One of my PCs occasionally has a "dead" LH Window symbol when you left mouse click. I Just right click it and a more extensive menu appears.

As regards opening multiple Googles - I don't understand that at all. I can open as many as I like.

Cheers

keith

It's called 'Mail for Windows 10'. If the symbol is not live I cannot access my emails.

The video editor is something I have yet to settle on. A friend with Windows 8 uses a Windows Editor but it clearly states it is not suitable for Windows 10.

I click on the Google symbol and it open up RMweb automatically. If I go to Google Search it replaces RMweb.

• RMweb Premium

It's called 'Mail for Windows 10'. If the symbol is not live I cannot access my emails.

The video editor is something I have yet to settle on. A friend with Windows 8 uses a Windows Editor but it clearly states it is not suitable for Windows 10.

I click on the Google symbol and it open up RMweb automatically. If I go to Google Search it replaces RMweb.

Re Mail & Google*: Can't you dump the Windows apps and just use Firefox and Thunderbird?

I haven't used Windows mail apps since Outlook 2000 stopped working in Win 7! (It needed to be updated and you had to pay)

Is there something in Windows Mail that Thunderbird doesn't do?

*Where is this "Google" symbol? I don't seem to have one!

There are plenty of Video Editors out there why Windows?

I've just invested in Pinnacle Studio 19 as Studio 9 didn't work post Win XP

Cheers

Keith

I used Outlook Express for years with no problems. It is just that I wont download things anymore in case I b*gger things up. As regards, editting, I did much editting and sound dubbing in the 1980s and 1990's on a JVC Video Editting suit when producing and marketting railway videos. But editting on a PC is something i will have to learn about. As usual, I am cautious about what I download.

Edited by coachmann

On the issue of scanners miffed this pm to find my elderly A3 scanner would not work on W10; I had g0t it to work on W8 by cancelling driver recognition but no luck on W10. Thankfully my ten year old XP desktop is tucked behind the main tv so thats had more use this pm than for a long time.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Hi all, I installed W10 on my laptop with no problems, so repeated the process on my desktop, but wit no sound, when I click on the sound icon on the task bar, with attached cross in a red circle, it has a think about the problem and tells me there is no problem! speakers are built into my monitor.

any ideas?

• RMweb Gold

Try going into control panel -> sound and making sure your monitor's speakers are set as the default.  The other possibility is the drivers are missing or need to be updated.