Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

As a nontechnical computer user, its not necessarily the number of updates, its the timing! Manys the time when there is a lot of work to accomplish and the computer is turned on only to find spinning dots which seem to go on for ever, to the point of frustration. Is it updating or somerhing worse happening? There is no indication and time is wasted which is annoying and non productive.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

i'm the same - i've always updated as requested (unless it was an optional for something i wasn't using)

The problem i have with win10 is a lack of info/warning as to when they are going to download/install updates and how big they are.

For big updates, the first i know of them is when a basic web page refuses to load - i don't have superfast broadband so a big download will hog the connection. if this happens then i can check the updates screen and i can see a progress bar etc.

Minor ones can usually proceed without issue but i would still like to know when something has happened, in case it causes other issues.

even if there were no options to alter/delay updates, a simple dialog box like the win7 'updates are available' screen would at least let you know how best to avoid them interfering with what you're doing.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

I recently bought a 'new' second-hand laptop that was advertised as having Ubuntu.  When it arrived I was disappointed to find that it had Windows 10 on it.  I managed to install Ubuntu, but installed Ubuntu in a separate partition, so that the machine can be booted into either Linux Ubuntu or Windows 10.  So far, Linux Ubuntu has been a bit of a learning curve, but I can get the software running that I expect and want to, even if it takes a bit of effort in some cases.  On the other hand, I have found Windows 10 very frustrating; the one bit of software that I really want to run on it, RPG Maker MV, won't install and run properly so far.  My old computer used Windows XP. I am beginning to wonder whether I made a mistake in leaving the Windows 10 as an option to run.

I recently bought a 'new' second-hand laptop that was advertised as having Ubuntu.  When it arrived I was disappointed to find that it had Windows 10 on it.  I managed to install Ubuntu, but installed Ubuntu in a separate partition, so that the machine can be booted into either Linux Ubuntu or Windows 10.  So far, Linux Ubuntu has been a bit of a learning curve, but I can get the software running that I expect and want to, even if it takes a bit of effort in some cases.  On the other hand, I have found Windows 10 very frustrating; the one bit of software that I really want to run on it, RPG Maker MV, won't install and run properly so far.  My old computer used Windows XP. I am beginning to wonder whether I made a mistake in leaving the Windows 10 as an option to run.

A quick google suggests that its device drivers that are the problem with that software under W10. There is obviously a limit to how backwards compatible anyone (even MS) can make anything, how old is the laptop? I have an elderly A3 scanner that did work with Win8 but not with Win10, thankfully I had kept my decade + old XP desktop so that is sat in the spare bedroom attached to the scanner should I need to use it.

I had to look up the wiki wrt RPG Maker MV, having no idea what it was about - it was released in Oct 2015, (English version). If that is what you have, then their owners should have tested it on w10, so I would guess you've got some other version, or there is not enough memory/whatever in the laptop.

Edited by raymw

I had to look up the wiki wrt RPG Maker MV, having no idea what it was about - it was released in Oct 2015, (English version). If that is what you have, then their owners should have tested it on w10, so I would guess you've got some other version, or there is not enough memory/whatever in the laptop.

Program apparently should run on 2GB of RAM so doubt that is the problem. It does however require "Compatible OpenGLR" graphics, which may be the problem as there are issues with some Intel processors with some versions of those graphics. Seems less likely to be a W10 issue on that basis.

Thank you for your comments, Butler Henderson and ramw.

RPG Maker MV is software for writing computer role-playing games.  It uses the screen, hard disk and sound hardware.  'MV' is the latest version, with, I understand, improved graphics as well as other minor improvements.  The older version, RPG Maker VX ACE, runs on the 'new' laptop under Windows 10, as well as on my old Windows XP machine.  The laptop has 4 GB of RAM.  I found out (from a relevant forum) that others that others can and do use it with Windows 10.  It was suggested that the problem could have been due to 'Defender', the simple anti-virus program built into Windows 10.  Thank you for the tip about the "Compatible OpenGLR" graphics, I might well do a bit of investigation, with the help of my friend Google.  I will experiment further, assuming that the website allows me another opportunity to download a trial version.

Meanwhile, in Ubuntu with the help of DosBox, I managed to get one of my favourite old games to work, 'Might and Magic III, Islands of Terra'.  It took a little work, but not an excessive amount.  Unfortunately, this has really cut into the time that I have for other things, although I have got my characters up to level 5 or so...

• RMweb Gold

My laptop was 1 year old when Windows 10 was announced.  It has a motherboard with integrated Intel graphics. However Intel have failed to provide Windows 10 drivers for the hardware level on this motherboard. The laptop runs Windows 10 perfectly but there are one or two websites that do not render correctly.  I've managed to live with this as it's just a small inconvenience.

My main desktop PC is 5 years old and also has Intel integrated graphics. It is very stable and runs Windows 10 perfectly, but has the same issue with a few websites not displaying correctly. However the problem was easily resolved by adding an Nvidia entry-level graphics card costing around £30 - one with full W10 support.  Now the display works perfectly but unfortunately I can't do the same upgrade for the laptop.

I would check your laptop's display drivers and see if they are W10-compatible.

Edited by RFS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My mini laptop struggled with the download and install; I ended up abandoning Windows Update and manually downloading the update from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx - its KB3201845 that you need to look for but you need to pick the right version for your pc  (32 bit or 64 bit). No problems with the update on it nor the laptop nor the desktop

Edited by Butler Henderson

Turns out its KB3206632 - when I posted the previous message I had checked if any updates were available and they were not so presumed the story referenced the update I got last Friday but then later this evening KB3206632 plus a number of office, java etc updates sprung up. No problems but this time the mini laptop installed it quickly and the normal laptop spent ages doing the same.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

My main desktop downloaded and installed it in not much more than 10mins.

Rather than problems with the internet as reported mine seems to connect to sites quicker than it has done since the last major update when it seemed slower afterwards!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

No problems updating the first of my machines here - although it took quite a while.

Colin

The length of time updating seems to bear no relation to the spec of the machine, the internet connexion speed or the download itself,

Sometimes my slowest PC is one of the quickest to update!

Keith

The length of time updating seems to bear no relation to the spec of the machine, the internet connexion speed or the download itself,

Sometimes my slowest PC is one of the quickest to update!

Keith

Probably has as much to do with the pressure on the servers at the "other end". It can be frustrating, though, particularly if you leave it to get on itself and then come back to find that it stopped because some user intervention had been required.

I did 3 machines last evening, 2 x Win 7 and 1 x Win 10, the latter being the slowest by a mile, and the highest spec.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Rather oddly SWMBO's laptop (originally Win 8.1 when new) hasn't yet found the update even after two manual searches.

It still claims it is up to date with the last download sometime earlier this month.

Keith

Went to bed last night and was informed not to turn off the PC as it was to be updated.  Switched on today and it was still doing its thing, or at least the little dots were still circling.  Its doubtful if it was still 'updating'. more likely screwing itself up. So I crashed it and its been working fine all day; this happens all too often

My machine must have hit the jackpot on the Microsoft Windows 10 Gameshow "Updates: Sink, Swim or Drown?" -

It has managed to survive the last two updates unscathed...

Will it get through to the next round? :no: or :)

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)

One of our machines has spent two days and numerous attempts to install this update.  I searched the web for a solution and found a couple of people suggesting - 'stop windows Updater' - 'delete temporay files from the Windows Installer folder' - 'restart Updater'. 

It worked - the machine immediately searched and found the update, downloaded and installed (finally requiring a restart).

A corrupt file do we think?

Ray

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO's laptop did the update this morning although it hadn't gone through the "updates are available - downloading" and "restart to finish installing updates" phases.

It was still claiming it was up to date, checked this morning at 11:25!

I needed to do a restart and lo and behold it went through the "updating do not switch off" bit.

After about 15mins the new update was installed.

Don't know why I didn't get the usual messages.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO's laptop did the update this morning although it hadn't gone through the "updates are available - downloading" and "restart to finish installing updates" phases.

It was still claiming it was up to date, checked this morning at 11:25!

I needed to do a restart and lo and behold it went through the "updating do not switch off" bit.

After about 15mins the new update was installed.

Don't know why I didn't get the usual messages.

Keith

Perhaps at 11.25 it was still within the "active hours" window?