Wessex DMU's - DIY Approach

Wales and West trains and their successors in the west country, Wessex Trains, gave us some very distinctive liveries. As a subject for RTR models there have only been 3 in 4mm -' Bachmann's 158 in W+W and Wessex liveries and Hornby's 153 in Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership black. Hornby did announce a red Heart of Wessex unit but this was dropped without explanation. They did a very good job on the black livery so I can't imagine it was the livery that deterred them. There might be one explanation in that the HoW graphics have people on them and I know Hornby had great problems getting the legalities  sorted out for Jouef's SNCF En Voyage graphics does feature people. I think there was some expectation that Bachmann would do a "Postcard" Wessex scheme on their Class 150, either in their catalogue or as a commissioned LE.
For the future time will tell if Real Track do their Class 143 in Bristol scheme.

So to do  models of the HoW 153 and Postcard 150 it's DIY though I know ElectraRailGraphics list the 153. At this point I need to thank Martyn Read (GloriousNSE) for all his assistance. His website is a great resource for anyone interested in the "modern" railway and his pictorial record (and knowledge) of Wessex Trains is probably unique. http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/be

The final results should really be considered as representations rather than 100% accurate models. One reason is that the graphics are largely taken from photo's so we're taking a 3d object, making a 2d image, scaling it and then printing it is  so errors are to be expected. The other issue is that there practically no information on what colours Wessex actually used so that's essentially educated guesswork.

This project has been stuttering along for a while now so a fair amount of progress has been made and I'll update this as things start coming together.

Stu

post-82-0-03443200-1438814112_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-88996300-1438814144_thumb.jpg

Thank you Steadfast.

After giving the Class 150 decals a good 24 hours to dry have started removing the unwanted bits of the decal print, the windows and some odd bits. Microsol was used to settle them when first applied and these homemade decals have proved to be quite tough. Where they've stretched over various bits they'll need another application now we're left with the areas we need.

Cheers

Stu

post-82-0-00817800-1438880428_thumb.jpg

Really like the work you've done there Stu.

I have plans at some point to do a Farish 150 in that livery. I was unsure how to do the thin lines that cross the windows, but the compromises you've made to make it workable don't detract at all from the models appearance. Definitely given me the confidence to have a go when I get the time.

I only recently realised there was a Wiltshire branded one, unfortunately there seem to be very few decent photos of it online. I may have to fall back on one I photographed both sides of (234 I think)

jo

234 was unique in having all four car sides with different images (if you fancy a challenge!) - two unique car sides and the "regional" car side was a Devon themed one on one car and a Cornwall themed one on the other!

249 was the Wiltshire one, unfortunately 249 is one of the ones I struggled to catch up with so the shots I have aren't the best, but shouldn't be less usable than the ones Stu used above - I do have shots of the unit-specific graphics (left hand car sides) but not the "regional" side (right hand car sides) - but that'll be the same images (Georgian pagoda/Big house by lake/Cotswold Cottages) as 251 though, combine and you have the full set.

249: https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/search#q=150249
251: https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/search#q=150251

Thanks for that info Martyn, I hadn't realised 234 was a bit special! It's the National Trust one, I remember all the sides being different.

Those pics of 249 look very useable and I hadn't realised that the other half was standardised on most units. Definitely food for thought!

jo

Hi Jo,

Doing one in "N" would be interesting to say the least. The awkward bit, apart from getting the size right, is the "feathers" and I might re-do a few of the smaller ones. They would be some delicate work in "N" and I'd look forward to seeing it.

Martyn, I've only just realised that some, possibly all, 150's seem to have acquired narrow black skirts on the bodysides. Anti corrosion work or something else /

Completely OT but went to Weymouth yesterday and just as we passed Upwey on the way in passed an SWT 158 on the way up Bincombe. Assume it was a FGW service and wondered if it was helping out during the Bath blockade.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Great work Stu.

I do like these Wessex liveries and they certainly added a bit of colour to the railway.  You've achieved a great result.

My favourite was 150 233 'Lady Margaret of Looe Valley.  I remember I wanted to do what you've achieved and never followed it through. Martyn was very helpful.

I found my thread from 2010.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10164-wesex-trains-150233-the-lady-margaret-of-looe-valley/

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

Thanks Mark, when you look at early Privatised liveries they are pretty distinctive. Done a bit more this evening and will try and post some pics.

Had a re-read of your thread. As with my previous 150/153 attempts the artwork is all courtesy of Martyn though the lettering on the HoW 153 came from Precision Labels who did a great job with my "artwork".

I see Electra Rail Graphics do the a blue one in St Ives livery but only ever seen a poor quality photo of one. I was surprised to see I made mention of ERG intending to do a postcard 150 back then. Looking at their website quite impressed with the graphics on their Northern Rail 155 though that seems to be based on the original artwork so I'll await the 150 with interest. Scrabbling my Wessex bits found Martyn's artwork for the Bristol 143's. Realised that could be a simplish (!) re-work of the Realtrack model if they don't do one.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark, when you look at early Privatised liveries they are pretty distinctive. Done a bit more this evening and will try and post some pics.

Had a re-read of your thread. As with my previous 150/153 attempts the artwork is all courtesy of Martyn though the lettering on the HoW 153 came from Precision Labels who did a great job with my "artwork".

I see Electra Rail Graphics do the a blue one in St Ives livery but only ever seen a poor quality photo of one. I was surprised to see I made mention of ERG intending to do a postcard 150 back then. Looking at their website quite impressed with the graphics on their Northern Rail 155 though that seems to be based on the original artwork so I'll await the 150 with interest. Scrabbling my Wessex bits found Martyn's artwork for the Bristol 143's. Realised that could be a simplish (!) re-work of the Realtrack model if they don't do one.

Hi Stu,

I remember Martyn sent me his artwork files including those for the Bristol 143's.

You mention ERG and I actually completed a model of 153329 'The St.Ives Bay Belle using their vinyls. Here's the link but I later sold the unit on:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13604-153329-the-st-ives-bay-belle/

Kernow commissioned Dapol to do a 2mm scale version which was superb.  It's a real shame Hornby/Bachmann never got stuck into these Wessex liveries and its the same with the FGW 'Local Lines' livery that Realtrack have managed so well on their 143.

I know when I was thinking about doing a Wessex 150 it was the difficulty of getting someone to print the complex picture vinyls which became a sticking point. The DIY approach appears to be the answer.

Look forwards to further updates.

Cheers,

Mark

Been progressing with the units. Have finished the smaller elements of the decoration, gave them a coat of matt varnish which seems to have done a reasonable job of giving them a consistent finish overall.

Fitted the windows back, no problems with the 153 but the door windows on the 150 have caused a problem. The fit is so good that it chipped round the frames. The doors were hand painted and the 2/3 coats are evidently too thick, touching up required.

post-82-0-67934000-1439589540_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-83035300-1439589584.jpg

post-82-0-70431000-1439589611.jpg

The last two pics are of my attempt at rebranded RR liveried units. Not many photos of these seem to exist though Martyn has one on his site.

post-82-0-84641800-1439589705.jpg

post-82-0-62179200-1439589725.jpg

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Wow! Lovely work on the Wessex 150/153. They're coming on nicely.

As for the rebranded Regional Railways Wessex 150/153 superb work and just as I remember them. Great stuff and captures a a rarely modelled subject nicely.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

Yes Mark, re-branded RR liveried units seem to have been rarely photographed. Think W+W branded one’s are almost none existent.

Felt extremely stupid over the weekend. Looking smugly at my efforts realised I’d totally forgotten the Wessextrains branding on the 150. So got the transfers I had made and disaster, the 3rd one went horribly wrong and curled up on itself. My fault and I’d not done the sensible thing and arranged for spares. It did though turn out to have a silver lining as they looked rather undersized.

Meanwhile a friend had seen my efforts and commented that I’d left off the station names above the windows of the 153. My defence was I couldn’t match the font and not sure they could be done that small and besides who would notice. "You will" was the answer and there’s no comeback to thatpost-82-0-52165100-1439990912.jpg.

Photo courtesy Martyn Read

So on the basis that those not familiar with the livery won’t realise it’s a bodge and those that do know will hopefully understand the issues. At least it was all text and an order off to Precision on Sunday eve. Tuesday they arrived, that’s exemplary service for you. Lots of spares this time as well.

The decals are thin and delicate but with the aid of some heavy duty decal settler they went on well without any silvering over the matt paint. The 150 logo’s were straightforward, the 153 place names anything but. I thought a pre-spaced print of something that long and narrow would be a nightmare to handle so approached them as individual names. The spacing is definitely more miss than hit but eventually got something that whilst far from accurate does give the right impression. I think it was Captain Kernow who coined the phrase “3 foot model” and these fall into that category.

post-82-0-88021800-1439990957.jpg

post-82-0-50534700-1439990936.jpg

post-82-0-36306500-1439990976_thumb.jpg

Weathering next.

Cheers

Stu

Wow Stu

When I did my red one I tried to include the small station lettering, but they were just too hard to do and with the home printing not being the highest quality it just looked like blotchy bits of paint, and it's such an odd font doing it any other way wasn't really an option at the time. That's worked really well and lifts it to a whole new level.

Thanks Martyn. The font is very weird and I've had no luck trying to identify it. I've asked a couple of people who might have recognised it and even tried a couple of web based font identification programmes but no matches. I probably should have done the sensible thing and contacted the Heart of Wessex people to see if they know, might well do that out of curiosity.

I am glad I made the effort though.

Cheers

Stu

I'm sitting here with the lights on so I can see what I'm doing and the rain's been biblical at times. Typical late August weather then!

A (poor)photo of the units back together, weathered the chassis and some light weathering to the bodies as Wessex seem to have kept things reasonably clean.

post-82-0-91427200-1440604534_thumb.jpg

Longer term idea is to do something to run them on. An SLT's been suggested but think something a little bigger called for.

Stu

I had a couple of idea's when I did mine - one was Exeter depot, viewed from the river/access road side, (I thought a shed layout dominated by DMUs would be a bit different to the norm!) with P6 of St Davids acting as an active backdrop. Minor scope for loco's (Freightliner used to send power for fuel there if needed) and also scope for track machines. I think when I drew it the core bit came out circa 9' long modelled virtually to scale, which isn't that scary - ended up "deep" though...

The other was an imagineered Barnstaple with the assumption that Bideford and Ilfracombe were still connected, and some trains would split/combine, plus a bit of assumed EWS Enterprise traffic for variety...a bit more traditional style-wise.

Archived