Smokey Joe Speed

wilsoh

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2022 at 08:19, hartleymartin said:

Any chance you remember what spare item it was, or if it is something I can get through Peters Spares?

Do you know from the article if they used princess or hall piston rods? Maybe email us as I'm not on there much. Thanks Peter 

On 10/12/2015 at 17:26, railroadbill said:

... newer ones have a higher torque lower revving motor that makes them more controllable.  This one runs very well indeed, slow running nearly as good as a Bachmann 08 or the Hornby austerity tank when I tried it out. A pleasant surprise.

My question is, when was the new spec chassis introduced, and is there an easy way of telling from model number or appearance if buying a second hand one?

Further contributing to the thread resurrection 😀 I've had a couple of newer ones and can confirm there is a significant improvement in running qualities over one from the 1980's to 2000's.

Even more so if you stuff any hidden cavities in the chassis with some lead scraps...I just weighed my Caledonian Pug and I've got it up to 168 grams in total.  It rolls along really nicely.

As for identifying a new one by appearance: finer blackened wheels is one clue, but I don't know how reliable that is as an indicator.

I recall reading somewhere (this forum probably) the motors are exactly the same as the older ones - it's the little array of capacitors (or resistors) fitted into the wiring on top of the motor that effects the improvement in performance.

If my statement is correct (is someone more knowledgeable able to confirm?) then it would be possible to "tame" any of the loco's with the generic plastic 0-4-0 chassis by fitting the electronic components in the same way Hornby have to the current ones.

Cheers,

plasticbasher

From memory, I believe another pointer to at least the metal chassis framed version of the 0-4-0T is that more recent releases (from around 8/9 years ago) have a body fixing screw under the front of the boiler/smokebox rather than the body simply clipping to the chassis frame, which may have been adopted at the same time as the speed reduction.