Making the most of model buses

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Those who know me well enough will know that I have a growing collection of model buses.  Many of these feature on the layout from time to time and more have been purchased for a currently stalled in-build layout project.

But a goodly number have been bought just because I can and because they have some personal connection.  

The fleets best represented in that category are Southdown, London Transport and London Country.  With the shelves filling and they not fitting into the layout themes, present of future, it was time to do something about them just gathering dust.  Mid-winter (I'm in Australia) seemed like a good time to start as the layout is outdoors and it's been cold, dark and wet for weeks now.

Herewith the first attempt at making use of these models rather than just having them hold the shelf in place!  I don't offer this as an example of good modelling as it's been put together fairly quickly more or less as a practice run.  There's another rather larger road and rail scene also in build of which more another day.

London Country Bus Services - Leigh Garage (code LG)

Leigh is a small village in rural Surrey between Dorking and Reigate.  It never had a real garage, its buses being provided by those places and occasionally from distant Guildford garage.  But it sits perfectly positioned to offer a location for the various buses produced by EFE showing destinations across that region. 

These phone pics show the Bachmann bus garage and bus stops, a selection of vehicles.  Among the Routemasters (of bus, Green Line coach and downgraded coach versions) and RFs there's still an RT in service and the almost obligatory Merlin parked outside the garage in case it doesn't start, plus a Daimler Fleetline dumped round the back because it definitely doesn't work and has the Guy "Special" Vixen staff bus blocking it in.  Leigh seems to be quite busy although the Green Line coaches awaiting trade outside the offices are from Dunton Green and Garston garages.

i-vGGxL5s-L.jpg

i-qQ9tmnM-L.jpg

i-BqKFZqp-L.jpg

Archived