Class 08 Shunter issues

Jonseyt23

Hello

appologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have an old Class 08 with I believe an X04 motor. I am having trouble in getting it to run, at first I thought it was the pick up so took it apart and cleaned it up, but still would not run, so I then cleaned the commutator plates and brushes with IPA and cleaned the gaps out between them, but it just wont go. Im not very clued up on servicing and fault finding on model trains.

I have had my multimeter out to check a couple of things, should there be continuity between the commutator plates? & continuity between the wheel outer and the chassis? also when placing on a peice of track to test, when I make connection to the track with the + wire it kinda sparks/arcs? I presume this is due to a neg and pos short somewhere on the body but cannot find out where from.

I have attached some photos of the chassis, am I being really thick and missing something simple?

post-26828-0-15801500-1439281893_thumb.jpg

post-26828-0-08529200-1439281894_thumb.jpg

post-26828-0-14781300-1439281895_thumb.jpg

post-26828-0-53070600-1439281896_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

While the motor and pick-ups are off the chassis, I'd also put the chassis on the track and roll it up and down with power applied to see if there are any sparks/arcs - if there are, the short is chassis-related.

And certainly test the motor while it's off the chassis.

AH!!

The orange insulating sleeve on the brush spring looks like it's slipped back on the 2nd pic, with the wire contacting the inner face of the brush, that could be where the short is.

You can ease the orange sleeve towards the worm, to make sure that the brush spring wire is fully covered (and therefore insulated) and not in contact with that brush.

When I have stripped these threads I have used an ordinary set screw, 8 BA I think fractionally longer than the Hornby screw but threaded all the way to the end.  The extra three or four turns of thread have proved enough to hold the motor down. If that fails you may have to drill the hole deeper and tap the thread deeper for a substantially longer bolt. Don't increase the bolt and thread diameter, the head will  foul on the magnet even if the bolt passes through the hole in the end of the pole piece.

Archived