DCC and analogue point control

matt1471

Are there any DCC modules that can be used to switch a turnout and also allow for analogue switch to do the same?

I've got 4 turnouts that I would like be controlled from JMRI but would also be useful to have a manual analogue control on them too.

Feedback to JMRI isn't essential, but I guess would be useful.

I'm using Digitrax/Loconet.

Thanks

Matt

• RMweb Gold

The Lenz LS150 is one accessory controller for points that allows both DCC control and push button control.  In my experience on a Lenz DCC system, using the push button option didn't cause the status to be reflected back to DCC software.

I also believe the latest Cobalt Digital motors also have an option for using push buttons.

Digitrax DS64.   CML Electronics DAC20.    There are others.  

If you're using LocoNet and JMRI, then I'd suggest you need decoders which will report any local push button changes, otherwise your JMRI panels will not show the state of turnouts when they are operated locally.     That means "LocoNet" decoders, rather than decoders which take instruction from the DCC track signal. 

- Nigel

The Lenz is perfect as I have 6 turnouts that require DCC control, but only 4 that need input option and feedback to JMRI.

Is there any other module or method I could use to use the Lenz LS150 and incorporate feedback to JMRI?

The Lenz is perfect as I have 6 turnouts that require DCC control, but only 4 that need input option and feedback to JMRI.

Is there any other module or method I could use to use the Lenz LS150 and incorporate feedback to JMRI?

The NCE Switch It can switch 2 Tortoise or Cobalt switch machines either via dcc or momentary push button control. The self contained switches in the switch machines will report position to the system, if you wire them.

The NCE Switch It can switch 2 Tortoise or Cobalt switch machines either via dcc or momentary push button control. The self contained switches in the switch machines will report position to the system, if you wire them.

The problem with all these ideas is that another bit of LocoNet hardware will be required, to transmit any feedback into the LocoNet system. So, you'll end up buying a DS64 or a CML board, or Team Digital SMD84 , or (insert LocoNet device of choice) to feed back the information.

If you want to use the power in LocoNet to report events triggered by local push button, then the most cost-effective is a LocoNet based accessory decoder which has push button input; Digitrax DS64, Team Digital SMD84, CML DAC20, etc..   

(Feeling a bit like I'm repeating myself here, so I'll now shut up).

- Nigel

Last question, hopefully....If I used an input module, could I tell JMRI to then switch that turnout via the dcc bus?

Yes.

Commands to move accessories which are sent over LocoNet (regardless of where they originate - throttle, computer, push button device, etc.) are put on the DCC track bus by the Command Station.

If an input module is on LocoNet, then any command is seen at the computer, and the computer can respond. That could be the computer seeing the input and responding by issuing a different command to change a turnout, or it can be the computer just showing the results of a command already actioned.

The important bit is LocoNet. If the device is on LocoNet, then it can report what's happening. If the device is on the DCC track bus, then it does not report back.

If your need is six accessory motors and four push buttons, then a device on LocoNet which combines both features probably does the job in the most cost effective way.

- Nigel

Archived