Modelling the M&CR's branch lines in EM gauge

Posted (edited)

Why were there two goods sheds at Mealsgate ? This is a long shot but I'm thinking that the one on the goods wharf, which is smaller and cruder than the goods shed proper adjacent to the carriage siding on the 'right side' of the tracks, was summat to do with mining. Not coal mining, as there was a short branch to the nearby colliery, but the mineral mining high up on the nearby Caldbeck fells. The M&CR apparently considered building a branchline to Caldbeck but sensibly thought better of it given the ups and downs of the various markets in the mid 19th century. They had  obviously identified Caldbeck as a potential source of traffic and without a direct line, this would have left Mealsgate as the nearest railhead. I'm therefore speculating that this shed was for the transhipment of valuable minerals (particularly barytes and copper) rather than general goods. I'm now wondering whether one of the other seemingly random sheds at Mealsgate might have been for the storage of mining stores, including explosives ? Given the various downturns in the fortunes of the Caldbeck mines, a couple of sheds at Mealsgate would probably have been sufficient to deal with the fluctuating and declining traffic.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

The storage of mines explosives was usually done in a small isolated building, quite secure, brick built and with an iron door. Your idea of a second building for storage of high grade mineral ores (in sacks), seems very likely.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Northroader said:

The storage of mines explosives was usually done in a small isolated building, quite secure, brick built and with an iron door. Your idea of a second building for storage of high grade mineral ores (in sacks), seems very likely.

Indeed and there are various other isolated small structures marked on the offical plan and visible in the distance in photographs that might fit the bill for an explosives store. I certainly wasn't thinking that the small goods shed, as marked on the plans, was for the storage of explosives.

I grew up in Keswick in the 1970s when it was still a mining and quarrying town and remember hearing the warning siren and subsequent explosions from the Coledale mine near Braithwaite.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A delivery at the newly refurbished goods wharf at Mealsgate- a portable stationary engine all the way from Garretts of Leiston. Although destined for use near Bromfield, the M&CR are heeding the stern injunction on the GER wagon and off-loading at Mealsgate rather than risk straying too near the Caley at Brayton (don't take it personally Jim ! @Caley Jim).

20240429_174210.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

As you may have gathered, my approach to scenery is rather impressionist and my methods are akin to musical jamming- I improvise away like mad and then select the good bits to tart up in the mix (to quote Nick Lowe). Here's No.17 bringing in a cut of chaldrons off the colliery branch, passing some very rough pasture on either side of the line. This is WWS rough grass quickly glued down with cheapo clear PVA over several layers of Woodland Scenics materials with a dusting of static grass fibres. I'll probably trim it back a bit before adding the hedges and fencing. Overall, more art than engineering but definitely leaning to the genus loci of the Neo-Romantics than the painterly precision of the Pre-Raphaelites.

20240429_174927.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, CKPR said:

As you may have gathered, my approach to scenery is rather impressionist and my methods are akin to musical jamming- I improvise away like mad and then select the good bits to tart up in the mix (to quote Nick Lowe). Here's No.17 bringing in a cut of chaldrons off the colliery branch, passing some very rough pasture on either side of the line. This is WWS rough grass quickly glued down with cheapo clear PVA over several layers of Woodland Scenics materials with a dusting of static grass fibres. I'll probably trim it back a bit before adding the hedges and fencing. Overall, more art than engineering but definitely leaning to the genus loci of the Neo-Romantics than the painterly precision of the Pre-Raphaelites.

20240429_174927.jpg

That's an approach I can certainly relate to.  The art of model railways!

Tony

• Like 3