Modelling the M&CR's branch lines in EM gauge

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I suspect the chaldrons are a wee bit easier with EM wheelsets!

Definitely easier in EM and they are suprisingly free running given that the axles are held in resin lugs but I will need to add some blackened brass washers behind each wheel to stop too much lateral movement from occurring.

• Informative/Useful 4

Power restored to all sections of 'Mealsgate', including the relaid Bolton Loop and the carriage & goods shed sidings and all of the point motors are wired up and operational. The layout hack, a Bachmann Cl.25/3 (!), has traversed all lines and only derailed itself a couple of times on the relaid sidings due to now corrected track faults. Next step is to paint / touch up the track and ballast and then start on the basic scenics. That said, I haven't got round to narrowing the baseboards and moving the controls to the otherside - I think I need to run some trains first ! Rumour has it that M&CR No.29 (or is it No. 30 ? ), one of the big 'Yorkshiremen', will soon be seen on the line, an event that escaped the notice of photographers in the early 1920s...

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The Class 25/3 is an entirely appropriate piece of motive power for the railways of West Cumbria but for a slightly later era than the period that you are modelling. Common as rats!

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Exactly and given that part of the Mealsgate line was retained as a long siding into the mid-1970s (complete with its own TOPS code !), it's possible that a Cl.25 might have at least ventured on the line at the Aspatria end.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

Getting rather distracted by the other lines in north Cumberland, especially after a trip to Hay-on-Wye that yielded two more 'missing' volumes for my reference library (the Port Carlisle book came from The Bookcase in Keswick). That London Road Models have the NBR class R / J82 in their range was welcome and tempting news to me ! Obviously even I'm not daft enough to attempt an animatronic horse in 4mm,but I was wondering if anyone has attempted this for Trainz, etc [ @Annie ?] Oh, and I discovered from the Essery & Jenkinson book that Caledonian 4-4-0T No.7 retained her pre-group livery until 1928 !

20240114_115101.jpg

20240114_115131.jpg

20240114_115202.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CKPR said:

Even I'm not daft enough to attempt an animatronic horse in 4mm,but I was wondering if anyone has attempted this for Trainz, etc [ @Annie ?]

Yes it has.  A fully animated horse was made a good few years ago by a very clever digital modeller for Trainz.  Unfortunately they are no longer with us and they took the secret of its construction and scripting with them when they departed this world and no-one has attempted making one since.

I've made use of the horse model from time to time to shunt sidings when I want something of a challenge and it certainly works just fine.  It's been used to draw carts on specially adapted roads as well as horse drawn trams.  Recently a friend devised a way of creating a horse drawn tramway for a stone quarry using this same horse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I was there...

20230805_171233-Copy.jpg.f3480304a419699b134a24b3d9f1b7c0.jpg

What remains of the 'stone outer dock':

20230805_170702.jpg.2733586707c519b316c378a5e3a845ec.jpg

Thank you James and the track plan, which I had not previously seen in its entirety, certainly opens up some very interesting modelling possibilities.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There is the model that has a horse drawn tramway on it, with the horse sort of moving.  In the background there is someone hitting two halfs of a coconut together.  It has been discussed on a thread here, somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

56 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

In the background there is someone hitting two halfs of a coconut together.  

Well, you know me and my love of analogue railway sound synthesis...

20231201_130734.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Juat arrived in the post, an un-used M&CR luggage label for Annan. These seem to be relatively common and I wonder if this is because of the dwindling traffic over the Solway Junction line back in the day.

20240131_134145.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CKPR said:

Juat arrived in the post, an un-used M&CR luggage label for Annan. These seem to be relatively common and I wonder if this is because of the dwindling traffic over the Solway Junction line back in the day.

20240131_134145.jpg

Is that. Annan G&SWR or Annan (Shawhill) CR?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, ian@stenochs said:

Is that. Annan G&SWR or Annan (Shawhill) CR?

Good question and given the M&C's link with the Caley at Brayton, I would presume it was Annan (Shawhill).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

No going back now ! The topography of High Blaithwaite has been drastically modified and will now hopefully be much more accurate. I've also narrowed Mealsgate as a prelude to swopping the controls to the other side and making a proper control panel, complete with a working lever frame. I'm on me tod for two weeks (Mrs-CKPR-to-be is away cat sitting in Mancunia), I've got a weeks holiday coming up and I'm stocked up with scenic materials, etc, so we should see some progress on both Mealsgate and High Blaithwaite.

20240218_180517.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

Bleak but better, don't you think ? There will be a low embankment at the front with a proper facia board to be fitted when the basic scenery is in place. The road bridge will now fulfill it's proper model railway function and hide the exit to the fiddle yard.  The area behind the station building will be slightly raised to platform level, gradually falling to towards the carriage and goods sheds.

20240218_183848.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

A view from a bridge - blocking in the landscape with card before getting to the hopefully not too messy bit with the  mod-roc. I've painted the rails but will clean up the railheads after building up the landscape. Next step, making a brew and then attending to an urgent request from a student about her doctoral thesis (I know, I'm supposed to be on annual leave this week). Again, excuse the class 25s but I'm not risking one of my M&C engines as a test engine at this stage. Ah yes, the dog leg in the (truncated) goods shed siding - it's been relaid three times and I'm not risking making it even worse by taking it up again...

20240227_151228.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

20 hours ago, CKPR said:

excuse the class 25s 

I'll think about it. 

No guarantee, mind.

But, seriously, that is a lovely shot, very 'natural' looking splay of track. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

The positions of the various structures have been finalised using known dimensions and photographs and the substructure for the platform has been fitted. I've also cut away the embankment to the correct angle of the bridge. @Edwardian, fear not James as the Class 25 has been banished to its stabling point in the carriage shed road and the branch train proper is being used to check clearances. We're in P4 territory here as having scaled down both the rolling stock and civil engineering to 1:76.2, the clearances are prototypical and hence pretty tight (the M&CR's loading gauge was always somewhat restricted).

20240228_140724.jpg

20240228_140659.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1