Pictrollers - a niggling problem

Killybegs

I bought a couple of these recently. They seem to work fine with Portescaps, Hornby and Mashima motors with the exception of one loco with a Mashima motor that surges. This loco works fine with a Pentroller set for a cored motor but surges if set to coreless. From the LED displays, the PICtroller appears to be reading the motor as cored yet it displays the same systems as when a Pentroller is set to coreless.

It's got me foxed. Any suggestions?

Well, motors do vary in characteristics but I would say though Mashima motors are not coreless, they are a traditional motor inside with carbon brushes, commutator and armature all wrapped up in a can type casing. Some sizes are more efficient than others hence the variables. Use Mashima motors on the normal iron core setting and it will be fine.

Been using Mashima's for more years than I care to remember, more than thirty anyway and never had a complete failure.

Got rid of all the Portescaps over the years but just bought back some locos from a late friends estate which I had built with RG4s but the Mashima powered locos seem to have more guts, maybe the gearing is more suitable for long slow trains. 

All the best.

Dave Franks.

Use Mashima motors on the normal iron core setting and it will be fine.

I think the problem is that the Pictroller doesn't offer the user any control over the motor type setting: it senses it automatically and there's no way to override the conclusion it reaches.  That's as far as I can see from the manual online: http://www.eshop-systems.net/s2g/malcsmins/Instructions_picpm.pdf

(I'm not a fan of technology that thinks it's smarter than the user. If it can't be persuaded otherwise then that rules it out completely as far as I'm concerned.)

Well, motors do vary in characteristics but I would say though Mashima motors are not coreless, they are a traditional motor inside with carbon brushes, commutator and armature all wrapped up in a can type casing. Some sizes are more efficient than others hence the variables. Use Mashima motors on the normal iron core setting and it will be fine.

Been using Mashima's for more years than I care to remember, more than thirty anyway and never had a complete failure.

Got rid of all the Portescaps over the years but just bought back some locos from a late friends estate which I had built with RG4s but the Mashima powered locos seem to have more guts, maybe the gearing is more suitable for long slow trains. 

All the best.

Dave Franks.

Dave, the problem is just with one of the Mashimas, the rest are all OK, which it makes it all the more odd!

I think the problem is that the Pictroller doesn't offer the user any control over the motor type setting: it senses it automatically and there's no way to override the conclusion it reaches.  That's as far as I can see from the manual online: http://www.eshop-systems.net/s2g/malcsmins/Instructions_picpm.pdf

(I'm not a fan of technology that thinks it's smarter than the user. If it can't be persuaded otherwise then that rules it out completely as far as I'm concerned.)

I am inclined to agree with you!

Archived