Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

WEST SHED

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I am new to this and know that people in glass houses should not throw stones but really those curtains in the background are hideous!  I prefer the mess on the floor.

Otherwise looks great.

Hi Andy,

Layout looks really good especially the water puddles (I've only just caught up with the thread). Interesting choice of stone walling on the bridge considering your urban theme but whatever floats your boat,

Kind regards,

Gary

Ps  I quite like the curtains gives the room some character (I didn't think curtains could provoke such strong reactions!)

Hi Andy,

Layout looks really good especially the water puddles (I've only just caught up with the thread). Interesting choice of stone walling on the bridge considering your urban theme but whatever floats your boat,

Kind regards,

Gary

Ps  I quite like the curtains gives the room some character (I didn't think curtains could provoke such strong reactions!)

That's a very good point about the walling Martin, I may re visit that at a later date but your probably right.

I agree about the curtains, hahahhah.

Thanks Mate, I've had a really good running session this evening with the Blue Stock, whilst looking across at Pencarne and planning the next bit on there. I actually saw the embankment above the Pub wasn't right so I paused the operating on here for half an hour and did that bit on Pencarne.

I just need to finish off the Road Bridge and then add clutter like old Rail, Sleepers, Pallets and Oil Drums etc. around the Yard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have no right to comment on another person's modelling ability (as mine is not very good) but I am very sensitive about interior decorating and I really do defy any rational person to defend the curtains as seen in post #203.

What character are you trying to convey with those curtains?

I have no right to comment on another person's modelling ability (as mine is not very good) but I am very sensitive about interior decorating and I really do defy any rational person to defend the curtains as seen in post #203.

The problem is that interior design is subjective. One person likes a fully white box for a house with hardly anything in and windows for walls meanwhile someone loves the style of a Manor house with an object in every nook and cranny. Consequently there is no such definition of 'style' so what you may perceive as hideous someone may find tasteful. I have my personal views on design but would not force them upon anyone,

Anyway lets get back to talking about the interior of the engine shed rather than Andy's house,

Kind regards,

Gary

• RMweb Premium

How I wish there was a 'what the hell are you on about' button. Who gives a crap (other than you) what curtains someone has in their shed?

I am on team Jason on this one..................Having been in the potting shed I had not even noticed Mr Ps curtains cos the trians and the nice paintings took my attention.

• Like 3

I am new to this and know that people in glass houses should not throw stones but really those curtains in the background are hideous!  I prefer the mess on the floor.

Otherwise looks great.

???????????????????????????????????????? :no:

How I wish there was a 'what the hell are you on about' button. Who gives a crap (other than you) what curtains someone has in their shed?

I am on team Jason on this one..................Having been in the potting shed I had not even noticed Mr Ps curtains cos the trians and the nice paintings took my attention.

O.K. Bogie, Let me explain, its a SHED, its Double Glazed, It has Net Curtains for ADDED SECURITY and the Layout is PORTABLE, so that's the end of the discussion so THANKS JASON AND CLIVE for your input.

Now, I've been very busy on Pencarne today, so pics on there soon.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

The problem is that interior design is subjective. One person likes a fully white box for a house with hardly anything in and windows for walls meanwhile someone loves the style of a Manor house with an object in every nook and cranny. Consequently there is no such definition of 'style' so what you may perceive as hideous someone may find tasteful. I have my personal views on design but would not force them upon anyone,

Anyway lets get back to talking about the interior of the engine shed rather than Andy's house,

Kind regards,

Gary

Thanks Gary, I missed your Post and should have added it into the last post, Cheers for your support.

• Like 3

I'm with Clive and Jason (just seen Andy's post above). Who cares. It's the quality and standard of the layouts that are the focus

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

In light of the comments about curtains I feel I had to comment that what's great about this layout is its "Martini" approach to modelling - i.e. it could be any time, any place, anywhere, with all of the above dictated by imagination and locomotives.  Great work, great layout; keep up the good work.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Obviously touched a nerve - did not mean to.  My apologies.

All I was trying to convey was the only criticism one could have with this layout was the curtains - which when you think about it is not a criticism of the layout at all!

• Like 1

Loving this layout - to the point where I'm seriously considering building something similar once I've gotten a bit further with my current N gauge roundy. I've got a bunch of OO stock and nowhere to run it at the moment...

Great work, Andy!

Gary

Edited by tersono
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed we do but we are as passionate about curtains as we are about model trains.  Some good folks of Queensland are so worried about curtain fading that we do not have daylight saving in summer!

Not sure why I got such a reaction - the current discussion about pies on Seaton Junction(ish) and Honiton Incline seems as related to train modelling as - well - curtains.  Each to their own as they say. 

Indeed we do but we are as passionate about curtains as we are about model trains.  Some good folks of Queensland are so worried about curtain fading that we do not have daylight saving in summer!

Not sure why I got such a reaction - the current discussion about pies on Seaton Junction(ish) and Honiton Incline seems as related to train modelling as - well - curtains.  Each to their own as they say. 

There was discussion about Sausages on my Bitton Thread which ended up taking over several pages and putting real modellers off visiting the thread with VALUABLE INFORMATION as when I asked serious questions, they were lost amongst pages of waffle.

I would rather not be having discussions about curtains on here PLEASE, If you have thoughts about curtains PLEASE post them on your own Doriston Thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101185-doriston/ therefore leaving West Shed and Pencarne Junction for debate on modelling techniques and information. 

Thanks.

One crackpot waffling on about curtains does not make a discussion.

Its like the Bitton Sausage saga all over again, I may NOT be back.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trust me I have learnt my lesson.

Ironically I do need to hang curtains or blinds in my train room as the Brisbane morning sun is going to cause some serious fading.

• Like 1