Steam Swindon 12th &13th Sept

Long Line

Swindon Railway Festival 2015  The Big GWR Event of the Year
Doors open 10.00am – 5.00pm

3%20PIC2.jpg

We're gearing up for this year's Swindon Railway Festival, with some fantastic model railway layouts - many being shown for the first time!

Live steam from Hatch Heritage & Steam Engineers and the evocative sound of the steam whistle welcome each day of the festival, now in its 14th year.

All model railway layouts, demonstrations and trade stands are displayed throughout the Museum so you'll get to enjoy STEAM's permanent exhibitions that include iconic GWR locomotives like No. 4073 Caerphilly Castle and No. 4003 Lode Star.

Among our special guests and attractions will be top music producer, author and keen railway enthusiast, Pete Waterman. Pete will be exhibiting his amazing Just Like the Real Thing models and signed copies of his railway books will be available too.  

Special guest model railway layout this year will be 'Hewisbridge', a fabulously intricate Borders layout by the 57 Model Railway Group.

We have a great variety of modelling demonstrations lined up for you this year. These will run throughout the weekend - from locomotive and wagon construction to signalling, soldering and weathering. 

Trade stands will be stocked with plenty of bargains too - from model railway kits and accessories, to railway art, books and memorabilia. 

Heritage railway organisations will also be among the traders to showcase their attractions.

More book signings include STEAM’s pictorial book, Wartime GWR by STEAM authors Elaine Arthurs and Felicity Jones.  

A Real Ale Bar, courtesy of Box Steam Brewery and a barbecue will be on hand both days for refreshments, alongside STEAM’s own Platform One Café. 

·         Traction Engine Display

·         BBQ & Restaurant Dining

·         Real Ale Bar

·         Ian Allan Bookshop

·         Demonstrations

·         Trade Stands: Cheltenham, Kernow, Invicta, Just Like the Real Thing, Squires Tools, Picture Pride, Lionheart, Andy Duncan)

·         Preserved Railway Stands  

0 Gauge

Berkeley Junction

Cascade Yard

Coppers Quay

East Dean

East Midlands Test Track

Lough MPD

‘0’ Gauge Model Display

Stabling Point

Ullapool

Hewisbridge

00 Gauge

Awdry St. Nicolas

Bradbury June

Choller Ford

Fairford

Halston

Kensal Green

Old Mills Colliery Sidings

Simington

N Gauge

Aston Magna

Charlieville

Ridgacre Branch

Sandwell County

Gauge 3

G3 Test Track

St. Ives

2mm Fine Scale

Bath Queen Square

STEAM is just ten minutes’ walk from Swindon Railway Station and the town centre.

Tickets 

Adults £12
Seniors (over 60) £9
Children (3-15 yrs) £8
Family ticket (2 adults, 1 child) £28
Family ticket (2 adults, 2 children) £32
Under 3s go free

Buy tickets online from SwindonTickets (booking fee applies) at www.swindontickets.co.uk  

There’s a 10% discount on Swindon Railway Festival tickets for STEAM Season Ticket holders when purchased from the Museum direct.  

will post full layout list shortly...
Cheers Mark

• RMweb Gold

We will be there again this year in our usual 2mm corner. This year along with the 2mm demo we will be bringing along a selection of models, maps, photos and other research material from my home based Bath Queensquare project.

A cracking day out in the excellent Steam Museum, do come and say hello.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

On the parking, i think it's the case that if you, or someone you're with..., spends over a certain amount, from memory £100, in the outlet village you can get your parking validated and avoid the charge. I'd note the outlet village does include the Hornby concession as well

• RMweb Gold

On the parking, i think it's the case that if you, or someone you're with..., spends over a certain amount, from memory £100, in the outlet village you can get your parking validated and avoid the charge. I'd note the outlet village does include the Hornby concession as well

They have in the past also accepted receipts from spending at Steam (including traders at the show)

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO used to work just next door in what was, when the Works was functioning, the Drawing Office. I could have used the office car park.

Working on Saturday but might be able to get there on Sunday. Clashes with REC at Woking which I would also like to go to.

• RMweb Gold

A flying visit - these were the layouts I got photos of. Great if you like the larger scales - which I do. The Gauge 3 St Ives was spectacular. I loved the 4F #44422

Berkely Junction
post-1107-0-01021200-1442087996_thumb.jpg

East Dean

post-1107-0-45730800-1442088013_thumb.jpg

Kensal Green

post-1107-0-97029500-1442088024_thumb.jpg

St Ives

post-1107-0-61627400-1442088033_thumb.jpg

Cascade Yard

post-1107-0-78414700-1442088004_thumb.jpg

Ullapool

post-1107-0-44932700-1442088042_thumb.jpg

Bit of a shakey Saturday with Berkeley Junction, mostly due to it being our first time running as a team and overenthusiasm overruling ability to fathom the DCC/ fiddle yard staging arrangements. Had a much better day on Sunday other than some DCC glitches (which we still haven't got to the bottom of) and a couple of loco failures which were a bit of a pain and led to the odd unusual bit of rostering but nothing too serious. Managed to keep to 7 trains in the fiddle yard in each direction (from a long iron ore rake with a 28xx to a Heljan railbus in length!) for most of the day so there should have been a reasonable variety and not much repetition for the trainspotter. I think we did have a few folks stay and watch the whole sequence!  

Stock was a bit of a miss- match but we knew that, as it was supplied by various group members- we'd never have got enough to run it otherwise. It's all about running long trains in a big (ish, so long as you'd visited us before St Ives anyway) scale, as opposed to complete historical accuracy.

If anyone has any more photos we'd love to see them :) One of the team did get out with his camera but I think he mostly focussed on the GWR stock that was running, so anything of the BR era would be great.   

Archived