Relay circuit with DCC point control

matt1471

I'm using some digikeijs accessory decoders for dcc point control and it seems they too, suffer the same as many other modules in that there just isn't enough umph to throw 2x seep point motors.

As I've since read, I can use the decoder to switch a relay which in turn will throw the point which can be powered by the good old faithful 16vac ac and cdu setup.

Problem I've got is that I cannot get my head around how to wire this up! Can anyone assist please?

The decoder uses two outputs with a common for 1x seep pm.

Thanks

Matt

it sounds horribly complicated and expensive, you would need latching relays, the most common version is actually the twin solenoid point motor with an accessory switch to operate the CDU and pair of point motors.

Is there any value in using DCC for points. Is it about just needing a single command line pair instead of multiple point motor leads?

I use 16v for point switching through an electric pencil and diode matrix balanced to throw 4 or 5 points every time with dead loads where less than 4 points throw and a large capacitot but no CDU  

I would have thought DCC traction current would have thrown 2X H and M without a CDU or capacitor

The key issue is that all DCC systems are designed not in Britain. So DCC designers won't know about the power hungry solenoids by Peco and Seep so many British modellers use. And if they do, most of their customers (who are outside Britain!) don't use them :P However, IIRC the Lenz LS150 allows a CDU to be hooked up, maybe explore that avenue.

I suspect that there are plenty of US based users of Peco point motors, given that it is their biggest market.

Archived