Bachmann PRR K4 Pacific - N Scale DCC Sound

There was a teasing thread on Trainboard started a week or so ago, it now states the same thing you have seen.

I need a few K4s, but it will depend on the details (i.e. vintage) and the price. Hopefully there will be non-sound versions.

It looks like an expensive time for N-scale PRR enthusiasts with this and the BLI M1a/b and Baldwin Centipede (both only with sound).

Adrian

Not sure if this helps...

Post War with Modern Pilot #1361

Pre War with SLAT Pilot #5448

Post War with Modern Pilot #3750

Pre War Brunswick Green #5440

Well, that cuts it down to two (the post war modern pilot ones). 1361 is the one that spent a lot of its life as an exhibit at the Horseshoe Curve after it was retired in 1956 and is now in a long term restoration in Altoona. 3750 is the other extant K4, on display at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg after it was retired in ~1957.

Adrian

Well, that cuts it down to two (the post war modern pilot ones). 1361 is the one that spent a lot of its life as an exhibit at the Horseshoe Curve after it was retired in 1956 and is now in a long term restoration in Altoona. 3750 is the other extant K4, on display at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg after it was retired in ~1957.

Adrian

3750 at Strasburg - looking a little unloved - but a nice looking loco

post-24082-0-24101300-1440187729_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't model the PRR so won't be getting one. Looks nice though.

MSRP $400US, sound version only. This is a Bachmann MSRP, I've seen pre-order prices as low as $230 from internet retailers.

Also coming in N: a GG1 (?why?) in sound and non-sound versions.

Full announcement (all scales)

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/docs/NMRA_2015_ANNOUNCEMENTS.pdf

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The K4s have arrived and are everything they promised to be. Nice (Soundtraxx) sound, relatively smooth running, great detail.

Now if BLI would get around to making the M1a/M1b (announced 2006), my PRR transition fleet would be well on its way.

I also added a ConCor USRA Heavy Santa Fe (2-10-2) in PRR livery (PRR class N2s) this weekend. Technically it is only valid from 1919 to about 1926 as the class was rebuilt from 1923-26 to become N2sa with a significantly changed appearance (Belpaire firebox, high headlight, etc).

http://www.spookshow.net/cc2102.html

Adrian

Archived