GWR 64xx class Livery Changes?

I was wondering whether anyone knew or has photographs of what livery changes the GWR 64xx class went through. Was there a time when any of the class could have carried BR unlined Black (early crest) with the earlier GWR tapered Collet buffers fitted.

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering whether anyone knew or has photographs of what livery changes the GWR 64xx class went through. Was there a time when any of the class could have carried BR unlined Black (early crest) with the earlier GWR tapered Collet buffers fitted.

All of the drawings that I've seen suggest that the 64xx had Parallel Buffers from new.

Some of the earlier 64xx had "GREAT WESTERN" on the Tank Sides from new and some of the later ones had the GWR Shirt Button. Both examples would have been in GWR Green. In BR Days I would say they were in Black Early Crest until 1957/8 and then in either BR Lined Green or Plain Green with late crest.

Interseting to note that the earlier numbered locos had a curved plate to the rear of the cab/bunker (like the 54xx) and the later ones had a square plate (like the 74xx)

Many thanks Pannier Tank. Any ideas when the top feed was introduced and fitted to the class, like the one now on No6430. Would this been fitted to all locos or just a select few (Ie the 64xxs?)

All of the drawings that I've seen suggest that the 64xx had Parallel Buffers from new.

Some of the earlier 64xx had "GREAT WESTERN" on the Tank Sides from new and some of the later ones had the GWR Shirt Button. Both examples would have been in GWR Green. In BR Days I would say they were in Black Early Crest until 1957/8 and then in either BR Lined Green or Plain Green with late crest.

Interseting to note that the earlier numbered locos had a curved plate to the rear of the cab/bunker (like the 54xx) and the later ones had a square plate (like the 74xx)

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Pannier Tank. Any ideas when the top feed was introduced and fitted to the class, like the one now on No6430. Would this been fitted to all locos or just a select few (Ie the 64xxs?)

I don't think the Top Feed was fitted to the 64xx Class until BR Days. Would you believe that the only photgrapghs I have to hand at present are of 6430 and yes it had the Top Feed in photgraphs taken in 1963.

If I come across any further information I'll let you know.

I'm still waiting for Hornby or Bachmann to produce a 64/74xx rolleyes.gif

Many thanks once again Pannier man. I’m debating whether to rebuild and restore an old Springtide 7mm 64xx Pannier in BR unlined early crest black livery so any notes or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

MM

I don't think the Top Feed was fitted to the 64xx Class until BR Days. Would you believe that the only photgrapghs I have to hand at present are of 6430 and yes it had the Top Feed in photgraphs taken in 1963.

If I come across any further information I'll let you know.

I'm still waiting for Hornby or Bachmann to produce a 64/74xx rolleyes.gif

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks once again Pannier man. I’m debating whether to rebuild and restore an old Springtide 7mm 64xx Pannier in BR unlined early crest black livery so any notes or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

MM

Lukily 6430 has the same Cab/Bunker as the 74xx. Is your model fitted with a 'Top Feed' ? Another difference between the 64 / 74xx is that the 64xx was Auto-Fitted and the 74xx were not.

Is your model fitted with a 'Top Feed' ?

At the moment No it doesn't. But then again its currently in GWR Green so I suppose it wouldnt have if they were only fitted in BR days. If I can find a picture of one fitted in BR black, this is one thing I would like to change.

Archived