00-SF Check rails

ianb3174

On my current layout I have a sharp curve on what will be a freight only line. I'd like to put a continuous check rail around it but wondered what the best way of doing it would be.

I've done something similar in the now abandoned P4 version of this trackplan and I have exactoscale check rail chairs that did the job perfectly. These are only 0.68mm flange way gap though.

They do a 0.8mm version but I'm guessing that still wouldn't be wide enough given the 750mm radius.

What is the best solution? Cutting chairs in half or bridge chairs?

If you thread every other chair on to the check rail, then cut through the un-used part of the chair (leaving the block part with the check rail) making lots of spare half chairs.

Now fix the check rail in place on every other sleeper, there will be a bit of a gap (the 0.8 mm ones may be a bit better) which could be filled with a bit of plastic filler. Might be a bit of trial and error as to what gap is required, now fit the remaining half chairs on to the sleepers without chairs, or you could use a check rail chair on every sleeper.

Archived