Isle of Wight Terriers

Overner

Just a few more pics. Pull-push gear, pipes and air tank, added but still not weathered.

attachicon.gifP1050617.JPG

And a couple of comparisons with its progenitor, an 'out of the box' mainland Terrier.

attachicon.gifP1050608.JPG

attachicon.gifP1050611.JPG

And one of it doing what I built it to do; hauling one of the ex LCDR pull-push sets.

attachicon.gifP1050623.JPG

Next step will be to build the long promised layout to run it on. Not much space available so it'll probably be more of a diorama to run trains on. Longer running will rely, as usual, on the generosity of friends with large layouts who indulge me.

Surely a pastiche of Bembridge would make the ideal mini-layout for your pull-push set?

Ed

Nice  to  see  that  picture  of  W13  in  Malachite  green.

Such  photos  are  quite  rare,  Film  was  still  in  short  supply  just  after  the  war  hence  not  much  to  take  photos  with,

The  SR  Malachite  era  was  also  short  with  many  locos  (and  possibly  carriages)  not  receiving  it  before  the  lettering  was  changed  to  British  Railways

Pete

Where did you get the push-pull coaches from?

They were scratch built, mainly from plastic sheet using the methods described by David Jenkinson in his book 'Carriage Modelling Made Easy'. Not sure if this is still available but it's an absolute 'bible' for coach building.It was published by Wild Swan in 1996.

• RMweb Premium

What a terrific picture and how nice to be able to put a name to one of the crew; which one is Bill Winchester?

According to Reed in The Island Terriers, No13 was repainted in this livery in 1945 and kept it until 'Southern' was replaced by 'British Railways' after nationalisation. In April 1949 she returned to the mainland, minus nameplate and, after a short period of storage went to the Hayling Island line. So the pic must have been taken between 1945 and early1948.

I'm not sure, but the fellow on the right looks like Bill. He's not around to ask any more. I think he moved to Canada after the end of steam.

The  push  pull  set  as  pictured  earlier  has  also  been  produced  as  an  etched  kit  by  D&S  Models,  in  4mm  and at  least  one  batch  in  7mm.  I  bought  both.  (Build  still  waiting  on  the  7mm)

The  7mm  kits  seem  very  rare,  I  have  only  seen  one  half  built  on  a  layout  and  seen  the  kits  once  on  Ebay.

Could  be  a  good  candidate  for  re-issue?

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone noticed, the pull/push air lines on my conversion were very basic, being made up from short lengths of layout wire. I wasn't happy with them and remembered that an American 0n3 model I built years ago had some very finely detailed pipes. I dug out the box which still contained a few left over parts and, there were 2 of the finest detailed air lines I'd ever come across.

post-25253-0-33569700-1446663125_thumb.jpg

The manufacturer was the wonderfully named 'San Juan Car Company' and their web site was full of their incredibly well detailed spares including a pack containing 6 air lines (and 12 stirrup steps) for $2.95. At 1:48 rather than 1:43, these are perfect to represent the Westinghouse lines on the P/P equipped Terriers which, according to Mike King's book 'Southern Pull Push Stock' were deliberately smaller than other pipes to avoid errors when coupling up.

I've ordered, and just received, a few packs and will be fitting them soon. I'll post a picture when it's done!

As promised, for anyone still reading this thread, pictures showing the improvement by fitting San Juan air pipes in place of the 'bits of wire' I used originally.

post-25253-0-17155600-1447170318_thumb.jpg

Before - with wire pipes

post-25253-0-27398900-1447170337_thumb.jpg

After - with San Juan pipes

It's a very small thing but it makes me feel so much better knowing that the parts I've added are up to the quality of the Dapol parts they sit alongside.

Good luck to anyone modifying their Terrier and thanks for sticking around.

Colin

Just like the Ixion Hudswell Clarke (incidentally made by the same Chinese Factory) these models seem to be ripe for people to do modifications and customisations.

O gauge is definitely not a "plonker's scale."

("Plonker" is an Australian term for someone who takes RTR models and simply "plonks" them down on the track. Also a term for a cheap drunk.)

Archived