Isle of Wight Terriers

Overner

I can't say I blame you Jon, unless you're a conversion freak like me who can't leave anything as it came out of the box! Even with a cab/bunker swop, I'd still need to change the footplate/sandbox and chimney to arrive at a model of Carisbrooke so all the work so far is not in vain. I'll probably add number 11 to my roster when it comes along anyway. 

When I worked in 4mm, I hacked all 7 of the Terriers as they were running in 1931, including number 2 with its Drummond boiler and A1 smokebox. Great fun but not nearly as absorbing, or as satisfying, as doing it in 7mm.

I can't say I blame you Jon, unless you're a conversion freak like me who can't leave anything as it came out of the box! Even with a cab/bunker swop, I'd still need to change the footplate/sandbox and chimney to arrive at a model of Carisbrooke so all the work so far is not in vain. I'll probably add number 11 to my roster when it comes along anyway. 

When I worked in 4mm, I hacked all 7 of the Terriers as they were running in 1931, including number 2 with its Drummond boiler and A1 smokebox. Great fun but not nearly as absorbing, or as satisfying, as doing it in 7mm.

If I'm honest, I too was looking forward to a bit of cut and shut (I'm in the middle of "modifying" an Ixion H/C) but once I opened the box and had a good look at the Terrier my nerve wavered a little. Finding out Dapol are doing an island version made the decision for me. I'll be looking at 1949 rather than 1931 though as, strangely, I like the idea of "British Railways" written in full on a nicely re-painted patch on top of the SR green. I have an E1 kit ready for the same livery treatment which will probably beat the terriers to it now!

Jon F.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a very colourful one! http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/st.lawrence/

(The first photo, spotted as the link was posted on another thread)

Given the argument over the LBSC livery, I can see the scope for 'what shade of red is that?'

Post Office, Fire Engine or buffer beam?

Dava

Unfortunately out of print, but still see them around s/h, but if you haven't got a copy it's very useful to have, it includes drawings of all variations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Terriers-Terrier-Class-Railways/dp/B0094DAQMQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441227976&sr=1-1&keywords=terriers+of+the+Isle+of+wight

i have that book. an excellent read

If I'm honest, I too was looking forward to a bit of cut and shut (I'm in the middle of "modifying" an Ixion H/C) but once I opened the box and had a good look at the Terrier my nerve wavered a little. Finding out Dapol are doing an island version made the decision for me. I'll be looking at 1949 rather than 1931 though as, strangely, I like the idea of "British Railways" written in full on a nicely re-painted patch on top of the SR green. I have an E1 kit ready for the same livery treatment which will probably beat the terriers to it now!

Jon F.

I've taken my 7mm period forward a bit to the mid 30's (1935/36) for a bit of a change. In my spare, daydreaming, moments I've been looking at the Ixion H/C and thinking how closely it resembles the FYN's Manning Wardle after the Southern rebuilt it...........

• RMweb Premium

Is the green issue an optical illusion? I just ask as on the screen here (I know its not a good way of seeing!) they look pretty similar. It could also be the effect of the black and white lining that is making the block green on the bunker look a different colour. Its funny how having other colours next to each other change the shade of the darkest one.....

Looking good BTW

Andy G

Thanks Andy,

I'm still looking at different shades of green, trying to find a slightly 'bluer' shade as I recall reading, in the HMRS Livery Register, that the green was liable to become bluer in use.

In the end, I'll probably settle on the shade I like best and repaint the whole thing!

Colin

Guest Isambarduk

"... a conversion freak like me who can't leave anything as it came out of the box! "

Colin, you are not alone and I think we're a growing group!

"In my spare, daydreaming, moments I've been looking at the Ixion H/C and thinking how closely it resembles the ..."

Yes, I know the feeling!  In the end, I find it's irresistible ... but a pleasant experience.

"I too was looking forward to a bit of cut and shut (I'm in the middle of "modifying" an Ixion H/C)"

Well, Jon, don't keep it to your self - let's see what you're up to!  I showed you mine (here on RMWeb but now consolidated at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htmm - my apologies to those who have seen this before), please now you show us yours :-)

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg

Reworked Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST

"... but once I opened the box and had a good look at the Terrier my nerve wavered a little."

Perfectly healthy initial response ... but then you get over it and carry on ... please ... and let's see the progress!

David

"... a conversion freak like me who can't leave anything as it came out of the box! "

Colin, you are not alone and I think we're a growing group!"In my spare, daydreaming, moments I've been looking at the Ixion H/C and thinking how closely it resembles the ..."

Yes, I know the feeling!  In the end, I find it's irresistible ... but a pleasant experience.

"I too was looking forward to a bit of cut and shut (I'm in the middle of "modifying" an Ixion H/C)"

Well, Jon, don't keep it to your self - let's see what you're up to!  I showed you mine (here on RMWeb but now consolidated at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htmm - my apologies to those who have seen this before), please now you show us yours :-)

The H/C conversion is my attempt at the 2015 build a loco challenge. Th link's in my signature although my signal works delayed it for now..

JF

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg

Reworked Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST

"... but once I opened the box and had a good look at the Terrier my nerve wavered a little."

Perfectly healthy initial response ... but then you get over it and carry on ... please ... and let's see the progress!

David

So far so good, I've now resprayed the whole cab/bunker with a colour that works for me. Unfortunately, the colour in the photo is not a good match for the original which is a more definite mid green. I've been painting the inside of the cab while waiting for the sprayed paint to dry - next step will be to do the lining and see how it all looks. It seems that the actual white lining spec called for it to be 1/inch wide which scales to 0.1458mm so it would need to be a very thin line indeed!

post-25253-0-58299400-1441713709_thumb.jpg

Has anybody got any thoughts on lining thickness? I can't help thinking that scale lining would be almost invisible at normal viewing distance. I've used 4mm transfer lining in the past (and done the curvy bits with a bow pen) and it looks to be about right.

So far so good, I've now resprayed the whole cab/bunker with a colour that works for me. Unfortunately, the colour in the photo is not a good match for the original which is a more definite mid green. I've been painting the inside of the cab while waiting for the sprayed paint to dry - next step will be to do the lining and see how it all looks. It seems that the actual white lining spec called for it to be 1/inch wide which scales to 0.1458mm so it would need to be a very thin line indeed!

attachicon.gifCab and bits.JPG

Has anybody got any thoughts on lining thickness? I can't help thinking that scale lining would be almost invisible at normal viewing distance. I've used 4mm transfer lining in the past (and done the curvy bits with a bow pen) and it looks to be about right.

if you think it looks right, then it is right

As I'm not going to be doing any more work on the Terrier for about a week, I thought it would be a good idea to review progress so far with everthing temporarily back in place:

post-25253-0-09259800-1441882362_thumb.jpg

In order to rub down the bunker sides, it was necessary to remove the moulded bolts so the positions were marked by drilling (no 75) and Grandt Line NBW (nut/washer/bolt) castings glued into the holes. If you're not familiar with these, they're incredibly detailed plastic mouldings, available in many sizes and types, which are also incredibly small and 'fun' to fit. But, oh so effective.

post-25253-0-66273500-1441883100_thumb.jpg

I'll pick up the thread as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a quick update now that the Terrier is lined and named. Nameplate is temporarily fixed to check that the lined panel is the right size, it'll come off again before I varnish the loco and then be replaced. 

The lining is all done with a bow pen and a fine brush except the boiler bands which are HMRS 4mm Pressfix. Lettering and number are from the HMRS 7mm Pressfix sheet.

post-25253-0-49677400-1442997277_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-99072900-1442997295_thumb.jpg

One thing I realised too late is that the end row of boltheads, nearest the cab, is too far back; pictures show that they were inboard of the white line not in line with it. If I'd realised earlier, I'd have fixed them further forward instead of blindly copying Dapols positioning.

The replacement hooter is actually an LMS Stanier from Markits, the nearest thing I could find. It looks to be a bit too large but will have to do until I find something better - any suggestions?

Temporarily back together to show progress to date.

The first stages of the new, repositioned boiler pipework in place using copper single core electrical cable for the copper bits, glued into very carefully drilled holes in the original Dapol valve casings and new, longer operating wires from 0.45mm handrail wire. New pipework from the Westinghouse pump still to be done and new handrail knobs, I broke 2 of the originals removing them, and wire to be fitted along with the Dapol cab handrails, vac pipes and couplings.

The very fragile lamp iron on the bunker top finally succumbed to handling and was replaced by a new one made from a little strip of flat phosphor bronze intended as pickup strip. The body and footplate had a couple of thin coats of Alclad Klear Kote and the name and number plates were fixed using a few spots of Humbrol ClearFix.

post-25253-0-48039400-1443546061_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-51222600-1443546083_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-82382800-1443546102_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-61822100-1443546120_thumb.jpg

The driver and fireman are from Phoenix.

The big question to come - whether to weather?

Look for historic photos. It is all too easy to overdo the weathering on a locomotive, when in many places, crews took great pride in their charge and kept it clean. I would suggest that a "mildly work stained" appearance is what you want. The other extreme is that it will look like the paint is holding the rust together.

I do so agree, Martin.

The IoW in the 30's was well known for keeping everything clean; in MacCleods section of the book Rails in the Isle of Wight, he says that he had the wheels lined out to encourage cleaning below the footplate - says it all really!

I think I'll have to line the wheels, a thankless task, and keep it clean but used.

Well, another step nearer to completion. Just realised that I need to add W 13 to the front and rear buffer beams - better do that before I add a little bit of weathering. I find that taking pics of the work in progress often highlights the little things that otherwise might go unnoticed.

post-25253-0-81665100-1443799787_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-60002300-1443799802_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-45881800-1443799831_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-87406700-1443799848_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-34569400-1443799874_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-45395800-1443799898_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-76854400-1443799914_thumb.jpg

I've looked at pics of Terriers on the Isle of Wight in all the books I have and, there's no doubt in my mind that there's only need to lightly weather the wheels and frames and maybe a little evidence of bits the cleaners may have missed. Compared with the mainland, island Terriers were incredibly well kept and spent most of their lives looking very much the way preserved locos look now. Someone will almost certainly find a pic of a filthy island Terrier to prove me wrong but it'll be the exception that proves the rule!

Just a few more pics. Pull-push gear, pipes and air tank, added but still not weathered.

post-25253-0-92017700-1444385619_thumb.jpg

And a couple of comparisons with its progenitor, an 'out of the box' mainland Terrier.

post-25253-0-29204500-1444385706_thumb.jpg

post-25253-0-29015900-1444385730_thumb.jpg

And one of it doing what I built it to do; hauling one of the ex LCDR pull-push sets.

post-25253-0-43476300-1444385924_thumb.jpg

Next step will be to build the long promised layout to run it on. Not much space available so it'll probably be more of a diorama to run trains on. Longer running will rely, as usual, on the generosity of friends with large layouts who indulge me.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

This picture is from my friend, the late Bill Winchester, who is one of the crew in the photo.

Apologies, but I have no dating info, but it is on IoW.

post-6938-0-55022200-1444446246.jpg

What a terrific picture and how nice to be able to put a name to one of the crew; which one is Bill Winchester?

According to Reed in The Island Terriers, No13 was repainted in this livery in 1945 and kept it until 'Southern' was replaced by 'British Railways' after nationalisation. In April 1949 she returned to the mainland, minus nameplate and, after a short period of storage went to the Hayling Island line. So the pic must have been taken between 1945 and early1948.

Archived