Melton Model Works

millsie

Well i got bored one day whilst sitting at home searchin for a new job, i decided to make a load of freelance patterns in 009, which could also be used or 7mm. I then posted my thoughts on the NGRM forum and was then inundated with requests for items of rolling stock which no one manufactures!(see website for details)

So this is for you to tell me what you would like to see produced, bearing inmind they will be cast in resin.

http://www.meltonmodelworks.t83.net

martin

Might be a good idea to check 'Keykits', ABS, Chivers Finelines and Mercian Models before you get too far with the proposed 0-16.5 kits, if you haven't done so of course. The market is quite small and it won't help them or yourself if you split the available sales with duplicate kits. By the same token it will be good for the scale if more different new kits are available. You're certainly not proposing any that I do or have in development.

If you do bring out new 7mm scale kits be sure to let Adrian Gray, the trade liaison officer for the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, know so that he can draw attention to them in the Association's bi-monthly magazine and newsletter.

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

The Corris /Tlyllyn vehicles i have been asked to produce by a number or members of the NGRM forum, i have the drawings and i am currently working on those now, as i am the freelance ones to, which are my design, I have borrowed a picture from the small brook webiste, containing the tool van which i plan to produce in 009 not 7mm as small brook already do, and it will get replaced in due time

The Talyllyn/Corris coaches will be in 009 and 7mm as it was originally asked to be done in 7mm.

The A1 models foot plate is also of my design. and A1 models know of its existance.

The plan is to release them in 7mm and then in 009 as i have been asked for them to be produced in both scales. Im not trying to reproduce anything that is already out there.

Parkside do a GVT stlye box van in 009, and i have been asked to produce one also...

There is also to be a GVT brake van which i think is not modelled yet in either scales, which is also currently being worked on from drawings.

As regards to spelling mistakes, ill try and hunt them down, its not easy being dyslexic with no spell checker lol!

martin

• RMweb Premium

There is also to be a GVT brake van which i think is not modelled yet in either scales, which is also currently being worked on from drawings.

Hi Martin

The GVT Brake Van is available in 7mm as a plastic kit from Wrightlines. They also produce the box van. Although Wrightlines (now ABS) do not have a web site, the Brake and Box Van are both illustrated part way down this page http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/users/www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/index.php?f=data_kitbuilding&a=0

Wrightlines also put parts of two kits together to make freelance bogie versions as well. All were available at the Shepton Mallet show last week.

I agree with Phil above that contacting Adrian Gray at the 7mm NG Assn would help you as he could suggest other stock that isn't available and will enable you to fill a gap in the market rather than duplicating what is already available.

Good luck with your new business

Mike

yes i agree, it gives it that more industrial look to it.

I have now since bought another A1 models kitt, to which i am fitting it to a tomix chassis(cant tell you which one as i dont speak japanese! lol), which will also be done.

martin

EDIT:

whilst i have had the plastikard out i made a coach(2 more to make)and this is the result;

100_2325.jpg

100_2326.jpg

100_2327.jpg

with the intention of makin an O9 layout based around the SMR (www.fsmr.org.uk)

and these represent one set of articulated coaches. Hopwfullt if i get them working correctly i shal be releasing them under MMW, along with the rest of the SMR stock

• 4 weeks later...

I should REALLY like to see an 0-6-0 chassis in 0-16.5; not necessarily an exact prototype, a 'generic' chassis would do. I'm modelling in 0e - 1:45 - and the Fleischmann 'Magic Train' Stainz/K3 gives a nice 0-4-0 chassis, but 0-6-0 chassis are lacking and although I am quite happy to try and build a boiler/cab/tanks to fit on a chassis I do not feel competent enough to try making a chassis with valve gear etc. It would be possible to adapt an H0 chassis - the Roco BR80 has been suggested - but somehow H0 wheels and valve gear doesn't look quite right for 0 scale; the wheels often have too many spokes, for example. Are there any R-T-R 0-6-0 locomotives in 0-16.5 / On30 that I have not come across?

Victors Models are doing an 0-6-2* in 009, and rumour has it, it will be available in O-16.5...better to ask Victors - hence why im going for an 0-4-0 lol! And its slightly different in many ways, which i like...and i thin i prefer the 0-4-0.

martin

* i think its an 0-6-2!

Victors Models are doing an 0-6-2* in 009, and rumour has it, it will be available in O-16.5...better to ask Victors - hence why im going for an 0-4-0 lol! And its slightly different in many ways, which i like...and i thin i prefer the 0-4-0.

martin

* i think its an 0-6-2!

2-6-0 actually, there's details on their website. I saw the 4mm prototype at ExpoNG, very impressive!

OK bit of an update, i took the artic set, and some other bits and peices over to the SMR on monday, they were impressed - so much so, that i have been told to get at least the prototypes painted by june, as they want them on display in the station building over the open weekend!

So, just need to crack on and get them painted!

martin

SMR

http://www.fsmr.org.uk

• 3 weeks later...

haha, well these are for O9, and im not sure what scale the scratch aid is for? There is to be abitmore detail to be added on the sides of the PW wagon and the end is removable! hence why its still white lol.

But thanks for that:) imight have to get some bogies to have aplay with :)

martin

• 4 weeks later...

OK a slight update here, nothin new has left the works yet, but there is - hopefully - on the Le Meuse!

I have decided that it shall all be etched brass, including the chassis, with various whitemetal parts.

With myself being no good at cad (never managed to use it properly) so i am hand drawing everything.

is anyone stil interested in this if i go this route??

martin

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been along time since an update!

MMW had a (very) small display stand in the station building at Stapleford Steam Rally this weekend just gone, LOTS of interest and a few takers. And i have been given permission from Jenny The Lady Gretton, the owner of the railway to produce anything from the railway, as long as i build a model of the railway!

martin

Archived