Suggestions

Hi

Apols if covered elsewhere/previously. As a newish regular user, I very much enjoy the forum. However, I mostly browse on my iPhone and there are a few things I find a bit irrirtating that I wonder if could be fixed to enhance the experience. It may be that I'm just not finding this functionality on my device so if I'm being thick, I'm sure someone will point it out

1) unless I'm missing it, you can't rate posts from within the mobile app. To do so, you need to flick back to the full version which is not optimised for the small screen

2) there are no post numbers on the mobile - so when someone refers back to post #xxx it isn't always easy to find (a within thread search tool to jump to a post number would also be helpful)

3) ability to add pictures from mobile. Also would be helpful if the app could resize pic files as uploaded.

Kind regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear i'm not the only one using rmweb on a smartphone.

I think from my point if view, it would be useful to have the Follow thread button on the mobile version. But it's a nice to have rather than anything more.

The next version of the software promises better mobile support; I've not looked at that aspect in great detail yet but any of the features suggested will have to wait until the point when the software is upgraded.

Optimising software for the big variety of mobile platforms is a whole new can of worms. The iOs in particular is a nightmare due to the no-interface allowed approach by Apple. Also there very loose standards across the rest. They are all going though almost constant change as mobile OS are still "comparatively" in their infancy in terms of evolution. In other words as soon as you make it work on one OS it gets "updated" and then ceases to work.

Add to that the software used for this forum has not exactly been developed in a neat and clear fashion (a bit of a mish mash of duplicated and incomplete functionality it is going to be a bit hit or miss when they attempt to get it to work on mobile platforms. There are many application that have this problem and being fair they are far from being alone.

What seems to be a minor modification can be quite difficult, in other words don't get your hopes up. Add to that the issue of upgrading often introduces new bugs where they didn't exist previously. The bugs then become a new problem and fixing them often doesn't get done.

Have you tried an alternative browser, other that the default Safari, on the iPhone. (Yes, there are some better than Safari)

Optimising software for the big variety of mobile platforms is a whole new can of worms.

What seems to be a minor modification can be quite difficult, in other words don't get your hopes up. Add to that the issue of upgrading often introduces new bugs where they didn't exist previously. The bugs then become a new problem and fixing them often doesn't get done.

Have you tried an alternative browser, other that the default Safari, on the iPhone. (Yes, there are some better than Safari)

Thanks - no I've not tried a browser other than safari. I'll take a look. Fully appreciate that what sounds simple May turn out to be way harder to implement than is justified by the cost. However, I thought helpful to post to say what I, as a user, may find helpful as RMWeb plans software upgrades. Of course if no one points out what they'd like to see/find useful it would then be churlish to complain if it wasn't implemented!

• RMweb Gold

Optimising software for the big variety of mobile platforms is a whole new can of worms. The iOs in particular is a nightmare due to the no-interface allowed approach by Apple. Also there very loose standards across the rest. They are all going though almost constant change as mobile OS are still "comparatively" in their infancy in terms of evolution. In other words as soon as you make it work on one OS it gets "updated" and then ceases to work.

Add to that the software used for this forum has not exactly been developed in a neat and clear fashion (a bit of a mish mash of duplicated and incomplete functionality it is going to be a bit hit or miss when they attempt to get it to work on mobile platforms. There are many application that have this problem and being fair they are far from being alone.

My job involves having to test new Web site developments on multiple devices, and can assure you the shere number of device/browser combinations is mind boggling.... With the companies producing new devices and operating systems pretty much every 6 months, it's a case of having to play catch up.

As I said, having any new mobile features would be a nice to have. I can view the desktop version if needed, it's just a bit more fiddly.

As regards alternate browsers on the iPhone, they all have to use Safari's rendering engine, so doesn't make much difference which one is used.

Archived