Another Convert From 4mm!

Airport2010

Good morning Phil, welcome to the wonderful world of 7mm, if you are like me and many other like minded modellers on here you will not regret the move one bit, blue era is well catered for in 7mm, many suppliers to help you build your stud of stock.

It you like DMUs & MK1 coaches Easybuild Kits have good number of classes and coach types to help you, they are also releasing a 101 Met Cam kit soon, JLTRT have a good number of loco kits, the HeljanRTR releases are a god send, but the second hand market prices soon go up once something has sold out, as others have mentioned wagons are well catered for by the trade.

Joining the Guild is definitely a boon, and I will be renewing my subscription again next year, as you mentioned in your introduction about becoming disillusioned with scale of 4mm projects, I agree if you have the space a lot of us modellers tend to think "ooh big space, fill it with the biggest grandest plan we can" which in truth ends up beating many of us one man bands, Kudos to those who do crack the big projects though.

Although I am nearly 12 months into my 7mm change over, I am still very much at the infancy stage, I have baseboards to use but as yet no track down !!! I have tinkered with a couple of kit items. I am still disposing of my 4mm as I go along, I have yet to make a decision on whether to dispose of every bit of my 4mm stock as the are some items that hold sentimental value or they are just damn good models, but I then have the niggling doubt that I will have the 4mm distraction !!!

There are many great 7mm threads on this forum, many of which I follow, and the cross section of modelling methods and skills is great food for thought in how to tackle your own projects, many people take a leisurely pace towards their goals, and then there are some modellers like Jinty who seem to model at such a pace it's unreal.

Okay that's enough rambling nonsense from me, but thanks for mentioning me in your opening comments, not because you found my posts amusing, it is more of the fact that somebody acctualy read them !!!

This will be another of the many 7mm threads I will be following with interest

Happy modelling

Craig

Morning.

Are you on Facebook? If so search O gauge low hill on there.

It's a "blue" themed group layout with some very impressive models.

I can see how the group idea works well in this scale, everyone brings something to the party then.

There's a awesome Scottish modern layout out there too, inver... Something and a Network SouthEast EMU one.

Matt

Welcome Phil,

Once the O scale bug has bitten there`s no way back!.

I myself have switched back to O scale British recently, after modeling  American  in O & HO.

And i have to say that the quality of the kit`s & RTR stuff has never been better.And has been said the modern scene is very well catered for as well,especially when i compare it to 15-20 year`s ago.

Anyway going on from Matt B`s layout comment,here are a couple of 'blue layouts' on you tube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX4Kf4FU_74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Ou-gMg9ak

And a NSE layout set in Kent;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqcfSKyN_k&list=PLqqA1nvQRBbntVRqqc8_gnAeXkP7I8Ea4&index=11

And this is Invergeachy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl1uKji8TDs

Cheers,

Brian.

Well gents I can never say I failed due to lack of support or encouragement can I!

Thanks again for all your insight and suggestions of where to obtain resource. I shall certainly take a look at them all.

Craig you sound like my long lost twin brother in terms of your OO journey! I too will keep back a handful of OO stock for some sort of small diorama. My first 47 (which I got from Hattons for £39!) is a definite keeper!

In the meantime I'll try to figure out how you post pics on here and upload some shots of my current situation.

Kind regards to all

Phil

It is quite simple really once you know how. Write your post but before clicking the post button click the Reply with attachments button. This will bring up a screen at the bottom of which you can click on Browse. Then follow the steps to bring up your photos and double click on the one(s) you wish to post. Finally click the post button and all's done. Remember to make sure that the photo you wish to post is less than 1 Mb.

Simples - even I can do it!

Rod

I took the plunge to move to 0 gauge over a year ago and have never looked back. I too had a massive 00 collection which i sold to fund new 0 gauge and still have a few bits to sell so sorting that out. The 0 gauge guikd is a must do. The magazine and shows are fantastic and the members are very good. Good luck wiht your new venture. Look forward to pictures of your progress.

Scott

Archived