GWR - MPD

neilrh

I am planning for a MPD, based in GWR 1930-40 era. The MPD will include a 4 road shed, turntable, and coaling facilities. Since I'm not good at drawing stuff, I'll try to explain the general layout:

Road #1 - Ramp to coaling stage

Road #2 - Siding for trucks (ash disposal)

Road #3 - Turntable access, passing ashpit and coaling stage before reaching the turntable

Road #4 - Turntable access

Road #5-8 - Engine shed

Road #9-10 - Additional (open) sidings

Yard would be accessed from the main line from non-facing point (when considering up/down traffic), with a non-facing crossover for access to the other mainline.

Questions:

- Would I control points from a signal box, ground frames, or individual levers at each point?

- Pointwork - I assume Road #1 would require a catch point/derailer, because of risk of run away down the ramp. Should I include one on Road #2 (any other roads)? If I arranged the pointwork that Road #1 & 2 had a combined point of entry would I place the catch point before that split?

- Signalling - Does the main require a signal before the yard entrance (remember non-facing), should it include a shunt ahead signal for purposes of entering the yard?

- Signalling - Would the yard roads need ground signals? Would I include a Home/Starter signal at the yard exit?

- Roads #5-8 would include inspection pits and water cranes. Would I also include water crane on Road #3 and/or Road #4?

Non-facing points are more conveniently referred to as trailing points. The points controlling entry to the yard from the main lines and those allowing engines to leave the yard (whether trap points or proper points) would be controlled from the box. There would be a disc to read out of the yard and ones to read from each main line into the yard. Probably not stop signals on posts, but depends on the layout.

The points in the yard would most likely be controlled from individual hand levers, movements would be controlled by hand signals, flag or lamp, discs within the yard are unlikely, though there are always exceptions.

Please try to post a plan. It's impossible to visualise from text.

Seems like a lot of roads for a 4 road shed - and difficult to visualise. Especially the road on its own to the TT.[*] The two additional sidings - what purpose do they serve? if they are loco storage (perhaps downsize shed from 6 road?) otherwise they are more likely to be adjacent to the TT road. If they are for coal then they would be adjacent to the ramp. The track layout for the TT is going to be important. I also recommend that book as it contains all the track plans. A 4 road shed is quite a big one. It may be better to design your layout to be based on an actual prototype rather than trying to fit an imaginary layout to a GW style (it didn't really exist anyway).

[*] sure I know there were a couple, Didcot springs to mind and that may be a good starting point.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69651367/img20150911_13244627.pdf

The linked pdf is a basic idea of what I am aiming for (with acknowledgement to C.J.Freezer - the model railway design manual).

The coaling stage will have the water tower on the roof, so there will not be a free standing tower in the main yard - workshops, and offices moved to the back of the shed, will allow a narrower footprint for the plan (so there's still room for the mainline to run alongside).

In the subject of catch points, where would I place them, how many would I need and where would they be placed? Does the entire yard require a catch/headshunt at the entrance from the mainline? Do I require one at the base of the coaling stage ramp in addition to a yard catch?

Catch points are arranged to derail breakaways running backwards down a hill where the intended direction of travel is up.

To protect running lines from vehicles overshooting junctions or connections from sidings, yards etc IN THE NORMAL DIRECTION OF TRAFFIC a trap point, worked from the box (usually) is provided. In your plan, only one is needed on the entrance/ exit road. Quite possibly this could be worked by the same lever as the connection to the yard itself.

• RMweb Gold

That layout is fairly good for 'typical GWR' although the position of the 'field' sidings could vary according to site constraints etc.

All points would be worked by adjacent hand lever including the catch point on the coal stage ramp - it would be the only catch point within that layout.

A trap would be provided where the shed line entered the running line and the type of signal used varied considerably depending entirely on local circumstances - in many cases a ground disc was used by a semaphore with a short arm was not at all unusual especially if it controlled access in the right direction to a running line.  Some Western shed had outdoor prep pits, some didn't and I suspect the latter type was in the majority.  And don't forget - ashpits were deeper than prep pits.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69651367/img20150911_13244627.pdf

The linked pdf is a basic idea of what I am aiming for (with acknowledgement to C.J.Freezer - the model railway design manual).

The coaling stage will have the water tower on the roof, so there will not be a free standing tower in the main yard - workshops, and offices moved to the back of the shed, will allow a narrower footprint for the plan (so there's still room for the mainline to run alongside).

In the subject of catch points, where would I place them, how many would I need and where would they be placed? Does the entire yard require a catch/headshunt at the entrance from the mainline? Do I require one at the base of the coaling stage ramp in addition to a yard catch?

What is the general size of this idea?

Archived